Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 GP1300R, I recently have been noticing some rust build up on the spark plugs and other bolts and joints in the engine compartment. Can anybody give me some good tips to get rid of this and to keep it from happening? Also is it good to flush the engine with Salt-Away? I have been just using fresh water.

I'd appreciate some advice.

thanks,

Kenny

·
Registered
209 Posts
I have a 2007 GP1300R, I recently have been noticing some rust build up on the spark plugs and other bolts and joints in the engine compartment. Can anybody give me some good tips to get rid of this and to keep it from happening? Also is it good to flush the engine with Salt-Away? I have been just using fresh water.

I'd appreciate some advice.

thanks,

Kenny

try not to get water in the ski,, its a new ski and if you havent done any cooling mods or jetworks valves then you shouldnt have any spray inside the compartment... unless youve got a leak.... i know lots of guys who spray down the motor with wd40 after each ride... salt away if you want but fresh water is good enough,,,, depends on if you flush everytime and how long after you get done riding....

·
Registered
61 Posts
Once again, you go REMY. The only addition I would try is a product called "naval jelly". You can get it at most ace hardware stores and I think even wal-mart has it. Its about 4 dollars and you apply it with a brush and rinse off. It removes rust, very well I might add while not harming anything else. Its a mariners secret tool! Wash engine with clean soapy water(not flush)outside, and like remy says, apply silicone spray (preferred)or WD-40. Silicone spray isnt greasy like wd40 and doesnt smell bad, works just as good!!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Once again, you go REMY. The only addition I would try is a product called "naval jelly". You can get it at most ace hardware stores and I think even wal-mart has it. Its about 4 dollars and you apply it with a brush and rinse off. It removes rust, very well I might add while not harming anything else. Its a mariners secret tool! Wash engine with clean soapy water(not flush)outside, and like remy says, apply silicone spray (preferred)or WD-40. Silicone spray isnt greasy like wd40 and doesnt smell bad, works just as good!!
:thumbsup: good to see someone else who actually knows, and doesnt just guess at answers

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you! I'll go get some of that naval jelly. So then its ok to hose down the engine after i apply the naval jelly stuff? I took it out yesterday on an absolutely beautiful day of 80 degrees in Panama City. I had a blast. I can't wait for the water to warm up more.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yeah kenny, just put the jelly on and let it sit about 5-10 minutes and rinse it off. You'll be amazed! It works wonders. Once the inside is dry, spray everything with silicone spray, just not your filters on the carbs. But everything else!! I know what you mean about the water, I am in Jax,FL. Weather is nice but waters cold still!!!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Thank you! I'll go get some of that naval jelly. So then its ok to hose down the engine after i apply the naval jelly stuff? I took it out yesterday on an absolutely beautiful day of 80 degrees in Panama City. I had a blast. I can't wait for the water to warm up more.
ya, but dont hose it down unless you really need to...try to keep water out as much as you can...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts