Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was given a 95 polaris slx this weekend. Of course when I got it in the garage it would not start. I changed the spark plugs, fuel, oil and got a new battery for it and it would not get a spark. It turned out the kill switch was stuck so i took it apart cleaned it up and the ski fired right up. Thought it was my lucky day!

However, I took it out to the lake yesterday to see if it would run on the water. The ski fires up and sounds great.......... BUT..... When I push on the accelerator the ski does not move an inch. While running the ski it smokes from the impeller and just will not go. So I put the ski back on the trailor and took the seat off to see what it may be. I fired the ski back up and looked down the impeller while my buddy hit the accelerator and it does not spin. Looked down at the engine and the drive shaft seems to be moving but very slow. I'm not sure how to change a drive shaft or if that is the problem. I don't want to waste money on a driveshaft if that is not the problem. Any suggestions or feedback???

This is my first jetski to own... So first time working on one!

Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Well today I started up the motor and looked down at the driveshaft. I seen that metal shavings were flaring up from the driveshaft. Had a couple buddies come over and help me take the impeller off the backend after that we pulled the driveshaft out. That was a 3 hour project itself. The drivehshaft looked fine however the driveshaft yoke was stripped.

We tried to get the driveshaft yoke (think thats what its called) off with no luck. Beleive I need a puller to get it off it wont budge. Any suggestion how to get it off and where I would find a new one?? I have a buddy that has a 04 polaris that is being parted out would a driveshaft or a driveshaft yoke fit on a 05?

Also, if the driveshaft yoke is stripped do you beleive anything else could have got messed up in the process again this is my first time working on a jet ski so could use all the help i can get.

Thanks for any help and advice.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I found out the part that is stripped is the DRIVESHAFT COUPLER not the driveshaft yoke. Still learning the parts on this thing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts