Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello im new to the pwc world and im looking at getting a 1989 kawasaki stand up jet ski with a 550 engine. The thing is im told its been rebuilt twice due to water getting into the engine through the cylinder head. I'm not sure if this is the real cause of it breaking down but basically im asking whats the cheapest fix to this problem. do i need to buy another cylinder case? new cylinder head? help please any information would help thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it has a high compression head on it. is it possible they used the wrong kind of gasket both times or that its more than likely warped? im getting it for $200 is it still worth getting if its only the gasket problem

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
I wouldn't. A high compression head means less reliability and with a ski that is not really worth a lot of money to begin with, you would essentially be buying a money pit.

·
BORN TO FISH NOT CATCH
1,512 Posts
the kawi 550 engine can take the high comp head

kawi motors are actually only produced with 80% maximum HP, which mas them the most reliable ski out there

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
k so update i got the ski but havent done anything to it found out it has no compression in one cylinder and good on the other. is it possible to just get a new piston and rings and gaskets and be good?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts