Personal Water Craft Forum banner

help with painting a jet ski

23136 Views 5 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  kawasakixiss
what type of paint do you guys recommend for painting the top and bottom halves of a jet ski? Will automotive paint and clear coat work fine for both the top and bottom half or what should i use? also i live in tennessee and the registration numbers can be stickers or painted on but with block lettering not measuring less than 3 inches high, is there only one kind of letter i can use or can i use any block lettering as long as its 3 inchers tall or bigger? any help would be appreciated.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
auto paint = base coat clear will work fine on your ski..
First off sand your entire ski with 200-300 grit sand paper.Then
You will need to prime with a high build primer and sand.
lay your base coat and then your clear...

I use ppg and house of kolor.
The key to painting your ski and getting a good outcome is prep work...
If ya need some more info you can reach me at 865-257-5998
Jake
thanks jake, i have actually started sanding the stickers off yesterday and got the sandpaper to start sanding with then iam goin to a local paint store and buying house of kolors flat black for a base and blue with mettalic flakes for flame graphics. i will let ya know how it turns out when during the process.
what grit should i sand the primer with to get the best results out of it? and if iam doing a design with black base and blue flames i need to lay the black down then do the flames on top, or do i need to do the flames then back mask them and then lay the black down?
thanks jake, i have actually started sanding the stickers off yesterday and got the sandpaper to start sanding with then iam goin to a local paint store and buying house of kolors flat black for a base and blue with mettalic flakes for flame graphics. i will let ya know how it turns out when during the process.
So, How did it turn out???
its in primer right now and just got all black bow eyes handlebars and steering shaft powder coated black. waiting on carbon fiber vinyl so i can get started on covering the seat and next week or so my uncle who works at basf should have me my paint. so hope for the best
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.