Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, my family is looking into purchasing it's first PWC. I'm new to the arena and wanted some advice on make and model.

We've searched several sites and have found two that we think we are interested in.

1. 1999 Seadoo GTX Limited
2. 2001 Yamaha xl800.

Any advice? Which brand is better. Is there any issues with either of these machines. General advice would be great.

Thanks,

Tim

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Is this thing on?

Hey guys. I'm also looking at a 1999 Yamaha 1200 xl.

Please any feedback would be much appreciated

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Hello, my family is looking into purchasing it's first PWC. I'm new to the arena and wanted some advice on make and model.

We've searched several sites and have found two that we think we are interested in.

1. 1999 Seadoo GTX Limited
2. 2001 Yamaha xl800.

Any advice? Which brand is better. Is there any issues with either of these machines. General advice would be great.

Thanks,

Tim
When you are looking at 10 year old machines you need to look at more things to be sure you are getting a deal and not a dud. Has it been used in salt water, flushed, maintained, good compression on all cylinders, etc.. I would not recommend a machine older than 4-5 years for someone that is not familiar with skis or a mechanic, unless you can get someone competent to check it out for you. There is just too much under the surface of an older machine that could cause problems.

As to the brands: Seadoo is typically a higher maintenance machine. Before I bought my ski, I talked to several service departments and they all told me that Seadoos were more prone to break and had more maintenance requirements (partly due to their cooling systems). The Yamaha will be easier to work on and maintain.

Look for a larger ski for a family machine. They are more stable and easier for everyone to ride, plus better for towing etc.. I'd recommend a Yamaha FX 4 stroke as a good family machine. You can find 2004-2006 used ones for around $4000-5000 with a trailer in good shape.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts