Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm deciding between a Sea-Doo RXT or a Yamaha FX SHO. The SHO has more displacement but the RXT has more horsepower. So what does that mean? Is more horsepower better? Or more displacement?

·
Registered
11 Posts
In my opinion displacement is better than a smaller motor putting out more horsepower. The way you need to look at it a smaller motor needs to work harder to put out more power than a bigger motor so in turn that wears the motor out quicker.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Seadoo's engine has been tried and tested for years and is locked in. More displacement just means a bigger, heavier and in this case, a less powerful and less power efficient engine. If you go with the new SHO you have to take the risk of using an engine that has just come out on the market. While the chances of it crashing and burning are slim and none, you know what you are getting with the RXT. If you can fork out a bit more then we are talking RXT-X range, which beats the SHO anyday, hands down (using the same engine as the RXT with an added external intercooler). I can vouch for the RXT-X, a bud of mine went out to Palm Desert, CA where he got a chance to test both the RXP-X and the RXT-X. All he had to say was that it was the fastest stock machine he's ever been on.

·
Registered
11 Posts
you have a good point agibbs, I was speaking more from a racers stand point where you can do so much more with bigger displacement. I use to race the 800 class and I never had problems with my seadoo

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yes, I agree that bigger displacement generally means more power however, for racing the SHO is definetally not the craft to use (at the moment) unless there are some rule changes in the near future.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts