Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok ive searched ths forum and found a bunch of usefull info but id like to here it all at onece just to be sure. ive never owned a wave runner. but i have ridden them alot and rented. im also quite mechanicly inclined when it comes to boats and cars. not so much these. and deff not 2 strokes.
Any way i was on craigslist a week ago and am now inthe process of buyn' a 2000 yami xl800. with 58 hrs on it. the guy is the second owner and claimes he babied it. no scratched scuffs, and never had to take it in for service. From what ive read so far these models need "power valves"?? replaved with the wave eater ones?? Ive also read on here that the oil injection systems often fail and it is a better idea too run pre mix wich the majority of you guys say 32:1

Question is-- are these mods very necessary or just a reliability thing. im not looking for a dragster just something reliable to take my wife out on. Do they come with flush kits on them already? as it will be primarily a sallt water ski. What other maintenance do these require? pump oil or other fluids or that nature. And last. if i take care of this thing will it last a while or am i S.O.L with a 2 stroke? Thanks for all the info and thios looks like a great forum

·
Registered
4 Posts
Personal opinion ski is great my buddy rides salt water creeks with us same ski never any probs as far as 2 stroke and being mech, inclined best and easyest way to go cheaper to fix and less probs. if u have a manual and a decent mech a brease to work on and yamaha skis do good in salt if you clean them after every ride golden and ya they come with a flush kit. go ahead and put a restricter plate on it and pre mix the gas plate is like 15 bucks and easy to install not for race purpose saves the motor if injector fails if oil stops for 2 secs time for a rebuild good luck man any ? reply back and ill help

·
Registered
33 Posts
Nothing wrong with 2 strokes

Yamaha uses power valves (YPVS) on water cooled 2-stroke engines to control the exhaust ports on the cylinders for maximum power and torque. The valve are located on the exhaust side of the cylinder towards the top of the cylinders. The look like small square boxes and have rods running through them for control by the servo motor. These Yamaha units are very reliable when used sensibly: warm it up before going full throttle; vary your speed and do not run full throttle for long periods at a time. Don't be afraid of the oil injection system but verify that all the oil lines are securely fastened. These oil systems are usually very reliable - I use the oils injection on mine. Spark plugs tend foul a little easier on 2-stroke so don't be afraid to change them often. Hope this information helps!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts