Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, My name is Kris and I just bought 2 07 Yamaha FX Cruiser HO waverunners. I am new to the world of boating and would love suggestions of what I need to get ie safety gear, ropes etc. and where to go. I live in Fairport ny (rochester area).

I'm looking for some people to hang out with and go riding (or whatever its called on water). lol

I also have been snow skiing for 28 years and I just got a motorcycle last year.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lake Ontario or Irondequoit bay. I might explore some other little parks along the lake. There is also Canandaguia and Honeoye Lakes. I might put along in the canal too. Who knows. Tons of water in this area!

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Hey, My name is Kris and I just bought 2 07 Yamaha FX Cruiser HO waverunners. I am new to the world of boating and would love suggestions of what I need to get ie safety gear, ropes etc. and where to go.
Safety Gear: Life vest, whistle, fire extinguisher, all required in my state. They also require you to carry your drivers license and boating safety course completion certificate if under the age of 26 (may vary in your state). Don't forget the cell phone to call in case of emergency. Get one of these or similar to put it in: Amazon.com: Kwik Tek Dry Pak Multi-Purpose Case (Clear, 6-Inch x 9-Inch): Sports & Outdoors Sunscreen. Collapsible paddle to help get to shore if you run out of gas or engine dies: Amazon.com: Kwik Tek P-3 Telescoping Paddle With Boat Hook (24-Inches - 72-Inches): Sports & Outdoors I also recommend a pair of gloves for riding (especially for your right hand). I also recommend a wet suit or riding shorts depending on water/air temp: WCSS Neoprene Shorts | Men's Shorts | Watercraft Superstore or WCSS Farmer John | Men's Wetsuits | Watercraft Superstore is what I use for colder times. Falling off a jet ski at high speed can force water into orifices and delicate places you would prefer not to have water forced into. A wet suit will protect these areas. They also keep wind from blowing up your shorts (distracting):D
Rope: Tow rope in case you break down and need a tow also can be used to help retrieve and launch ski. Dock lines (usually can be short 6-8 feet to tie off to dock.
ETC: Anchor will keep your bottom from getting scratched. I like this one:Amazon.com: Kwik Tek A-1 PWC Sand Anchor: Sports & Outdoors Put in some rocks and works well if there is little current, then dump rocks when ready to ride and you have a very light weight anchor. Tool Kit for emergency (you should have one with your FX) Small cooler with drinks (it gets thirsty out there). Fenders to protect finish of ski near docks: Amazon.com: Kwik Tek SB-4 PWC Fenders 2 Pack (Black): Sports & Outdoors

If you are new to boating, I highly recommend taking a boating safety course. There are many riders out there that have no idea of the rules. Here are a couple you can do online: Free BoatUS Foundation Online Boating Safety Course http://www.pwcsafetyschool.com/

You got some great skis!

Hope this helps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts