Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im new here guys, and i searched around and didnt find anything off the bat and cant believe no one asked this question yet, but here it goes..

i got a 02 yamy fx140 and am in the process of modifying the prop and ride plate and noticed that the ride plate doesnt look any different other than having a 2x9in extension welded on the rear center of the plate.

so my question is has anyone modified their own ride plates to be close to or better than the aftermarket?? thanks guys :)

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hi Happy, WELCOME to the PWCForums!!!

I think you'll find there is more to a ride plate than a little extension and with todays manufacturers getting better at making performance products, improving on them is a pretty tall order.

It's one of those are the results worth the expense and effort things.

If you're just looking for top speed try about a 4mm kick at the end of the plate and let us know if/what you gain.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for response. i was searchin around and found deals on them in ebay stores so ill probly just grab one. ill compare the two and let u guys know if its a possibility

·
Registered
209 Posts
first try some washers on the plates front mounting boss's (two frony bolts), so the plate angles back.. make sure the front of the plate doesnt stick below the pump shoe or it will drastically slow your top speed..

that will raise your top end but your ski might "bounce" "porpoise" a bit more.. if that happens put a washer under all the trim tab bolts....

you can also grind the rear mounts down so it angles more,,, i wouldnt recommend doing this yourself.... theres a few people who you can send it to, to get milled and shaped, if you wanna go that far just let me know...

·
Registered
111 Posts
this may not apply but here goes.
I've got a couple old 1st gen JS550s and the ride plate on them is pretty much just flat with a couple concave sections on the sides to match the hull shape. I took 2 strips of 3/4" or 1'' aluminum channel and bolted them on my ride plate with some flush mount machine screws. It definitely grips the water better in a turn.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Though they start life as an aftermarket ride plate, all of my race boats have modified ride plates on them, and most have my previous skis have also. I think that it's the only way to truly get the correct ride for each rider's style, size, weight, etc...

·
Registered
10 Posts
glass

has anyone thought of fiberglass? just rough up the surface so it adheres. and use a flat grinding wheel (60 grit flapper type) to smooth out. in this case set up is everything...... make a makeshift mold you can lay on top of.

make it thick.

·
Registered
209 Posts
no DONT drill holes in the plate,, that wont help with anything....

angle the plate,fill in the holes,with marine putty or something. center the grate, plug your pump shoe, and seal it with 3M 5200 and use a car jack to set it in place and hold it...

do this and you'll definitly notice a faster better handling ride

·
Registered
209 Posts
only drill holes to make it easier for the fiberglass to adhere.

fiberglass adhere to the plate??? what do you think that would accomplish? just send the plate in to get cut and angled,, it will be much smoother than any glass you could try and lay ontop of metal.....

plus you need skegs if you want any kind of control,,, kinda hard if have a flat sheet of glass over the plate...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts