Personal Water Craft Forum banner

Honda or Yamaha

7K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Kelly_A 
#1 ·
Hi,

I have decided that a PWC is required now that we have purchased a place on a lake. Just need a way to cool off on those hot summer days.

Here are the factors/wants/needs affecting my decision:
1. I am a newbie and have only rented a machine once or twice
2. I will be using it mostly for riding but would like to have the option to pull my son (9 yrs old) on skis or tube.
3. I prefer build quality, long-term reliability and value vs speed, power and extra options
4. I plan on keeping it for a long period of time
5. It will only be used in freshwater in one location
6. I don’t mind spending a little extra if it means I will be happier in the long run.

I think I have it narrowed it down to two machines. First, the Honda F12 because it is built well and the present deals on them is insane. The second is the Yamaha VX cruiser because of its proven reliability and bang for the buck.

If you had to choice between these two based on my requirements what would you choose?

Any thoughts and comments are greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot.

See less See more
#2 ·
It is a coin toss, but definitely ride both before you choose. They ride and corner very differently IMO.

Honda F12 non-turbo is good ski and fairly easy to maintain. Possible long term worry over availability of parts since Honda has put ski production on hold and rumors say they may get out of ski business (talk to Polaris owners about finding parts for their machines). Honda requires premium gas I think, so factor this in cost of ownership. Honda is more agile and faster IMO.

Yamaha VX has long track record and probably most reliable ski made (most popular ski with rentals). Easy to maintain and ride. A little slower than the Honda, but with a slightly more stable feel, especially with multiple riders. Uses regular gas.

#4 ·
Go Honda

I was in the same position a month ago. I narrowed it down to Honda and Yamaha, and went Honda. Got a killer deal ($2000 less than Yamaha) and I feel the quality is better than Yamaha. Better fit and finish, and show me another boat with a better engine than Honda. Everyone points to Yamaha because all rentals carry them, and that is because of volume pricing and availability. Rentals only use basic machines, and Hondas are far from basic.

I had 2 Polaris boats, and was equally concerned with Honda's not produciing 2010 boats. I live in SC, so know the plant that makes ther PWC's closed. The dealer assured me that Honda is just consolidating manufacturing, and is also moving motorcycle and some ATV production to Japan as well. He was confident that Honda will have 2011 boats, but their inventory in 07,08, and 09 boats needed to sell first. The difference between Polaris and Honda and is that Polaris was primarily an ATV and snowmobile manufacturer; Honda has been in the OB motor business for years. Even if they do stop making PWC's, I don't think getting parts will be a problem. Honda is HUGE compared to Polaris.

#5 ·
3. I prefer build quality, long-term reliability and value vs speed, power and extra options

4. I plan on keeping it for a long period of time

VX is really your only valid option. The platform is so widely used that parts will be available for many years.

There's a good reason for the "killer deals" people are getting on old Honda stock.
Dealers are scrambling to unload remaining stock. I'd take any dealer assurances with a grain of salt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.