Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is basically an apples to oranges comparison, but which would you choose? I was pretty much set on a new 06 R12x, dealer asking $6999 but I think they'll go $6500. I decided to stop by the local multi-line dealer after work just to see the competition and found they have 3- 2007 Kawi Ultra 250X's they want to broom. They told me $9500 +tax, I said thanks anyway and left. 45 min later my phone rings and they say we'll take $6500 + tax for the 250X.

So which would you choose???

They are basically the same price but the Kawi is a year newer. Which is more reliable in the long run (my current Kawi ran almost 9 years without a hiccup)? The Kawi really is a boat where the Honda is a 2up ski and the Honda is probably 225lbs lighter.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
...said the Kawi owner. :D Im a Kawi owner currently too (00 ZXi1100 w/blown center cylinder), my wife owns a Yamaha. Ive been very happy with my Kawi over the years, my biggest concern with the 250 is the sheer size of the monster! It weighs almost 2x what the ZXi does so I have to assume it cant be nearly as fun to ride except in a straight line where it should just walk all over the ZXi. Whats your opinion of the 250 is youve ridden one?

·
Registered
91 Posts
The 250 IS big, and the fuel mileage $uck$, but it will be fast in a straight line. It handles okay (for what it is), but it's not like the old small ones. The resale value of the 250X is terrible, which is why they're offering them for that price. Nobody wants them 'cause nobody wants to pay for the gas. Honda stopped making the "R" series in 2008, so depending on supply where live, you should be able to get one for around $5000. You could have gotten a 2006 "F" for around $6000 this past spring.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good to hear from both camps. I came across an article about fuel economy and the 250 (or was it the 260) was the worst, but at a 35mph cruise it wasnt that much different from the comparable models. The size of the behemoth worries me alot more than the gas consumption does.

Ive talked to a few different dealers and have got the same story form both, there is only 1- R12X within a few state radius. One dealer wanted $7800 for it (HA HA HA HA) and the other started at $6999, but may take $6500.

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
Another one to look at is the Yamaha 1800 2 seater. I forget the exact model but I have heard good things about it. My Ultra 150 is a 2 seater and corners great but like others have said, the Ultra 250's and 260's are 3 seater's and are a lot longer plus combined with the weight of them, I honestly don't know how well they will corner. 2 weeks ago, we had my Ultra 150 out on the lake and we ran it from 9:00 am until around 4:00 pm straight before it ran out of gas and I had to switch to reserve. Now granted, I was not on it full throttle all day. I took some friends out who had never been before and we just had a fun day. I was actually surprised too because my stand up lasted until around 3:00 pm before it ran out and had to be switched to reserve and it was run as much as the Ultra was. With the newer models, I have heard they suck up the gas when you are on the throttle but mine is the same way too. If I am on it full throttle, the entire time I am riding, I may only get 3 hours of riding time out of it. I have heard the new Ultra 250's and 260's are around the same even though they have a bigger fuel tank than I have in mine. With the Yamaha's, I have heard their fuel mileage is better and I have heard Honda's is the best of the bunch but with Honda, you get the worst performance so it will be a trade off. Personally with me, I like the performance but when I bought mine, Honda didn't even have a PWC out yet. I'm sure though whatever model you to get, you will have fun. Kawasaki, Yamaha and Honda all make very reliable products. Stay as far away from Sea Doo though and all of the other brands too!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No way would I consider a Sea-Doo! As far as fuel consumption, my ZXi can suck down some gas when your on it so I dont think any of the new ones would really be anyworse, besides its a toy and the gas is a small price to pay. The Honda is probably the closest to what Im used to in size and Handling just dont want to over pay. And really if I can run 60mph +/- I should be happy (for now).

·
Registered
91 Posts
Well the Honda R12-X will run around 65 mph. I wouldn't pay more than $6000 for 1 though. I guess it depends what your lookin' for, & how much you're willing to spend. Good luck.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Speed isn't everything though. Some machines are fast, but that doesn't mean they're fun to drive. Just like old muscle cars from the 60's & 70's. They sure are fast in a straight line, but try to take a corner at speed & you better hang on to seat belt. I'd prefer something that fast & handles well (like a nimble sports car), to something that's just fast (like a drag racer).:D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I was / am a drag racer (on land) so maybe I should've went with the Kawi then. :) But I'll be picking up my R12x in a couple days!

·
Registered
3 Posts
honda or kawasaki

i just picked up a used 2005 honda turbo F1200X GPS 26 hours trailer cover 3 jackets for 4200.00 some scratches on bottom and sides thats it everything else in new condition he never used it after 2008 and he bought it new in 07 his loss i guess

·
Registered
9 Posts
hey guys.... newbee here.
I looked a quite a few skis and tested the kawi12f and the yami 1100 rentals.
The kawi was prettty fun.The yami was a slug.Never test drove the Honda.
Sooooo, I been lookin for a kawi or a honda for the last month or so.Hondas around here in Cali go for 5-7k.(talkin bout the 2005 to say the 2007 yrs) doesnt seem to matter which model, they arent cheap and they are harder to find.If you see one for 5k you gotta go grab it caus if its in good shape its gone.So last week i find a 2-2005 f12x gscapes on a tandem axle triple ski trailer for 11,500.I offered 10,700 for the setup and brought it home.
Both skis had around 40hrs on em, ones in really good shape, the other in what I'd call a 7 out of 10.Just needs to be cleaned up a little.Nice skis, warranty until 2012.Soooooo, after reading what the guys back east are getting for brand new skis this seems high.What do you guys think?
Lemmee have it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
2 GPScapes with 40 hrs, with warranty 'til 2012 & a triple ski trailer for $10,700 doesn't seem high at all. Seems like you got a good deal. Enjoy!

·
Registered
9 Posts
hey thanks for the reply bobby.
I'm cleaning them out now.the hulls are scratched up a bit from being beached....looks like mostly sand though.some small gouges here and there.
the motors are super clean, run nice.I'm a little leary caus" I've never bought anything with a motor and not test driven it first.gonna try to get out this weekend for a bit...we'll see.one was in salt for a day or two.going to wash the bilge out with tsp solution(diluted) and spray down with crc-5.56 as recomended here.thats about all I can do until i take them out.How does the ride compare to the kawi 12f's???just curious.
thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well I got yo take em out this weekend and had a blast on em!
My only complaint is when you spin em around and get back on it the pump cavitates something awefull.So they have a hard time digging themselves out of a hole.Other than that, cant wait to get em back out there again.I might try a new Solas prop and a intake grate.....seems a few people have had ok success with them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts