Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering how many hours you should run a ski before re-build, and if you need to do the top and bottom or just the top. i bought my gpr with 83 hours on it and it now has 101.3. It still screams and has good compression but better safe than sorry right?

·
Registered
209 Posts
you dont need to do the bottom end when you do the top.... when properly cared for those motors will last a long time.....just make sure you've got a d-plate in place of the cat-con... what year gpr do you have? that will determine what other preventative items you will need...

·
Registered
209 Posts
how many hours should i let it go before i do the top end?
no need to mess with the carbs yet unless you start modding... dont worry about a rebuild until the compression is getting low,,, with a stock 1200 head you should be around 110-120psi.... put that d-plate in ASAP... make sure you've got either wave eater clips or gas valves so the PV pin doesnt drop in the jug... also i would recommend switching to pre-mix or making damn sure the oil lines dont slip off the carb nipples.... also you should update the pump shoe inserts with the 05 insert, 00-03 the inserts were small one piece pieces of shit that pull through the hull... also do the pump tunnel reinforcement while your in there doing the inserts.. you'll also need an intake grate, the oem grate is not safe!.... these things are mandatory for keeping a gpr safe on the water......ive got three trust me....

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
holy crap

Maybe i should just send my ski over with a grand and let ya have at'er! haha so its safe to leave the carbs alone after the d plate is installed? It wont run to lean? Any specific brands on the intake grates or pump tunnel gaurds i should look at, and are the wave eater clips the good ones? Can i order the 05 pump shoe inserts from a dealer or can i go through riva? keep the info comin!
thanks a million
Chris

·
Registered
209 Posts
Maybe i should just send my ski over with a grand and let ya have at'er! haha so its safe to leave the carbs alone after the d plate is installed? It wont run to lean? Any specific brands on the intake grates or pump tunnel gaurds i should look at, and are the wave eater clips the good ones? Can i order the 05 pump shoe inserts from a dealer or can i go through riva? keep the info comin!
thanks a million
Chris

if your close enough id love to help...

yes the carbs are fine even if you put a d-plate in...

even though R&D grates are breaking its only if your breaking 85+mph... so you dont need to worry about that yet..... do you ride in rough or smooth water? if smooth water get the 800 grate(its for the gp800r)... if you ride in rougher water get the 1200 grate, made for the 1200....

the pump tunnel i did with epoxy and fiberglass mat sheets,,, its alot cheaper but a PITA.... R&D makes a reinforcement but their out of stock alot and its $200+ but its alot cleaner looking and easier.....

there are a few style of clips out,,, first of all the clip is whats on the PV holding the pin in place, there is no clip stock, the couplers are holding each PV shaft together..... waveeater comes with metal clips and plastic couplers, .. RPM makes clips/couplers that are all metal and they have less slop than the waveeater,,, theres also a mod you can do to your existing couplers, but you dont get a clip which is the most important part...

dont go to your dealer, and riva's inserts are shitty, ive been down that road,already cut them up and threw them away....... go to boats.net , find the 2005 gpr and look for the inserts,,, their cheap... get both pump shoe and rideplate inserts while your there... the trim tabs already have solid inserts......

i could sit here and spit info all day, but ill give it as you need it........

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
im retarded

Do you by chance have part numbers for that site because i didnt find anything for the pump or ride plate

·
Registered
209 Posts
what will these parts do for my ski?
with the old single piece inserts they would pull out, since theres pressure pulling down on the pump shoe. with the new inserts which is a solid one piece for both screws, it wont pull through your hull.. creating leaks and slowing your boat down with drag from the shoe dropping.....

if you look at the inserts in the back of your boat you'll see the difference, and you'll understand what im saying..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Charazin, I did the D plate replacement on my 2000 GP1200R, and it took a total of about 3 hours (I had no previous waverunner experience, only cars). The D plate I bought comes with a little clip to fool the system into delivering more fuel (remy do I have that backwards?) so you dont have to worry. When I took my cat/con out it was in several pieces, causing the engine to overheat.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
d plate

I just installed it on friday night. It wasnt as bad as i thought it was gonna be. The cat was broken up and blown down the exhaust, stuck in the elbow of the pipe right after the cat. Now i know what those "pebble's" in the sound supresion box were. I put the little plug-in in it to. I think its supposed to complete the circuit or send some kind of reading to the computer to tell it everything is oki-dokie so the dummy lights wont come on. Since the 1200 is carburated theres no way it can tell its self to feed it more fuel. But i have been wrong before.
Chris

·
Registered
209 Posts
I just installed it on friday night. It wasnt as bad as i thought it was gonna be. The cat was broken up and blown down the exhaust, stuck in the elbow of the pipe right after the cat. Now i know what those "pebble's" in the sound supresion box were. I put the little plug-in in it to. I think its supposed to complete the circuit or send some kind of reading to the computer to tell it everything is oki-dokie so the dummy lights wont come on. Since the 1200 is carburated theres no way it can tell its self to feed it more fuel. But i have been wrong before.
Chris
ya the chip mimics the stock temp sensor.. no it doesnt feed any more fuel, the carbs are only controlled by your finger...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thats what i was thinkin

The d plate and free flow exhaust really gave it a nice exhaust note, cant wait to hear it scream across the lake. Any more go fast tips or goodies? wave eater clips and 1200 grate are on there way.

·
Registered
209 Posts
The d plate and free flow exhaust really gave it a nice exhaust note, cant wait to hear it scream across the lake. Any more go fast tips or goodies? wave eater clips and 1200 grate are on there way.
haha well theres tons of goodies... the free ones would be to true your hull (sand the bottom of your hull to remove the "hooks" or the raised areas on the bottom, and step your sponsons, this will reduce porpusing and plane the boat out better, basically make the sponsons slanted,,, bottom hole of the front and top hole of the back.......

also add some washers under all eight trim tab bolts, this will help planing and bouncing and rough water handling...

also get a PPK(pump plug kit) for your pump shoe..

the list goes on forever..... just depends on how far down the rabbit hole you wanna go....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts