Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oil line came off carb on #3 burnt it. Now I am planning to order a SBT engine ( I would like some input from anyone with one or if anyone can recommend a good replacement engine). Now can anyone tell me how dependable is the oil pump??? or should I go premix??? Thanks

·
Registered
811 Posts
Oil line came off carb on #3 burnt it. Now I am planning to order a SBT engine ( I would like some input from anyone with one or if anyone can recommend a good replacement engine). Now can anyone tell me how dependable is the oil pump??? or should I go premix??? Thanks
Well I don't think premixing is the way to go for a lot of reasons. You will gum up your carbs or injection, you will foul more plugs at idle, use more oil, and put out more pollution from running a double oil ratio at idle. You see you have to pre mix at a full throttle ratio of about 50:1. So at idle instead of a 100:1 ratio your are at 50:1. Yuk stinky blue smoke. Premix is for weed whackers.

Your injection pump didn't fail. Lack of maintenance made it fail. Anytime you are running something as important as injection oil, you need to make sure the oil injection system is maintained. Something as simple as using cable ties on the oil line fitting could have prevented your problem.

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Stick with injection. I had a 98 Yamaha GP1200 with well over 200 hours with the original oil pump. Burned very little oil too. Premix is a pain in the ass.

·
Registered
13 Posts
PREMIX PREMIX PREMIX Just my suggestion. I have a xl1200 limited. Those oil lines heat up and shrink off. I have been using AMSOIL interceptor. Never fauled a plug or clogged a carb.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Pick your poison...........

·
Registered
29 Posts
Keep the injector for at least the warranty period. I believe SBT's warranty covers everything for the first year. Check those lines every time the hood gets opened. Make sure you have a bit extra (shrinkage)... And clamp or zip tie them in place.

This is just my opinion.

I believe the oil pumps are very reliable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts