Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am new to this.. thinking of going to look at a 2003 kawaski ultra 150.. the person said it has 83 hours and only had it out once and it stalled..they flushed it and seems to run fine.. how do i make sure it is alright when there is no place to put it on water to test ride? any other tips in checking out a used jet ski? i heard you can't run them without water and was just wondering things i should check and if i can start them up and what all to look for..

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
The most important thing you have to do is a compression test. Go to an auto parts store and buy a compression gauge (they are about $20-$25.)

Here is a good read on buying a used jet ski:

Shop SBT - What to check when buying a used ski

Pull off the wires and do a dry crank. Ground the plug wires on the appropriate terminals on Sea Doo’s and other skis that have them ( ultra 150 and some others). Does the motor crank slowly or strong? If its slow it could be anything from a loose electrical connection to a bad battery to a bad starter.
Ok we are going to assume the ski is good so far. Pull off one of the plugs and thread your compression gauge on there. Pull the throttle all the way open and then crank the ski. Watch to see how high the gauge gets. Stop cranking and check reading. As a rule of thumb you’re looking for about 150 PSI for a two cylinder motor and about 120-130 for a triple cylinder. Anything less than 10% ( I prefer 6% but 10 % is a accepted basic guideline) between the cylinders could mean a new top end is in your future.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Best way to inspect a ski is after you test drive it. Right after the sea trial you can inspect the engine compartment for leaks and other problems.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts