Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

Ten year boat owner here, bought a jet ski a few days ago, very fun toy.

One question, how do you see the trailer when the jet ski isn't on it? If I put the tailgate down on my truck that helps, but on our Honda Pilot it was VERY hard picking up the trailer either in the rear view mirror or side mirrors. I was thinking of rigging a bike flag or something to it....are there any products sold for this purpose?

Thanks in advance.

OTW

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
The flag would probably work. In all honesty though the only time my trailer is not loaded is when my ski's are in the water and then it is always a very short drive from the boat ramp to where I park so I have never rally worried about it. Plus, I can see my trailer in my mirrors too so that could also be why as well.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The flag would probably work. In all honesty though the only time my trailer is not loaded is when my ski's are in the water and then it is always a very short drive from the boat ramp to where I park so I have never rally worried about it. Plus, I can see my trailer in my mirrors too so that could also be why as well.
Same here as far as the ski is always on the trailer unless I am getting it out of the water. A big part of the problem is I can't pick the trailer up very well with the side view mirrors of the Pilot. Can't see it out the back, can't see it in the mirrors, you can imagine how fun that is. ;-)

I'll figure out something, some sort of flag to throw on when I am backing the empty trailer down the ramp.

·
Registered
285 Posts
The Bike flags work well and are cheap, make a little bracket to put them in and pull them out it will work for you. Some I have seen use PVC pipe also. Good Luck Have Fun, or maybe just buy a FORD ;-)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Bike flags work well and are cheap, make a little bracket to put them in and pull them out it will work for you. Some I have seen use PVC pipe also. Good Luck Have Fun, or maybe just buy a FORD ;-)
I have a Ford, but he pulls the boat. :eek:

·
Registered
5 Posts
On2,
Here in FL alot of trailer-supply/repair shops have a bolt-on tall bracket kit for your trailer. Mounted on the brackets are standard 1.5" PVC tubes w/caps, usually about 3' in length. Like yourself I was a previous boat owner (Yammie 19' LS2000 Jet). This app worked great on the boat and now works great on my jetski trailer. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Well I like the previous idea's but let's go BIG!

I am thinking two huge MONSTER TRUCK Flags (like on Big Foot) on each side of the trailer. One a USA Flag and the other a HUGE HUSKER Flag. Not only would you be able to see them but so would every one else in the park.

Moving down the road you would be the AWE of every twelve year old boy out there!

We do call them "toys" dont we?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On2,
Here in FL alot of trailer-supply/repair shops have a bolt-on tall bracket kit for your trailer. Mounted on the brackets are standard 1.5" PVC tubes w/caps, usually about 3' in length. Like yourself I was a previous boat owner (Yammie 19' LS2000 Jet). This app worked great on the boat and now works great on my jetski trailer. Hope this helps!
Thanks, I figured something was made for this purpose but haven't found anything yet. Even with with my truck the empty trailer is not easy to see, and if I put the truck tailgate down it could hit my trailer jack if it's at the right angle. I'll see if I can find one.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
$15 solves all your problems...

There are magnetic-base trailer alignment guides that telescope up as high as 43 inches.
One on each fender well should solve your problem.

- Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices
Thanks, but that is more for backing your vehicle up to the trailer. My issue is when the jetski is not on the trailer it's hard for me to see the trailer becasue it is so small. Like backing the empty trailer down a ramp, especiall at the beginning of a steep ramp. So far, I have been opening up the tailgate and that helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I drilled a hole in the center of the back frame and after I launch the boat, I pop in a flag on a 5 foot pole. When I back down the ramp I get out just before reaching the water and pull it out. This makes it easy to see when in reverse and also, easier to spot in a crowded parking lot of trucks and trailers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts