Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Bought a 550 that had been sitting around for a few months. I've now got the engine turning over when you keep the start button pressed. Have tested both sparks and they are working fine and cant see any obvious leaks. The problem seems to be no fule getting to sparks to ignite. If I pump the chike, fuel goes in the carb. How much fule should I pump into the carb using the choke (worried about flooding the engine)? I've also heard spraying wd40 down the card helps start and engine, true? If so how much? Also, when pressing the start button, should I keep the accelerator pressed in so as to let more air into the engine through the carb? Any other suggestions welcome. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm new to the old school stand ups, but have learned alot the past couple of months.... Throw out the choke and get a Primer kit... Much more effective and you will save your battery and starter. Got mine from GroupK for about $20 and it's the second best upgrade I've done. The first new fuel lines. The 25 year old ones were trash.....

Good Luck. BTW I never got mine to start using the choke. I poured gas down the carb to get it started until I got the Primer Installed...

Richard Z.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that. Glad it is not something I'm doing wrong. Are the primer kits easy to install? I live in the UK so will have to see if I can get one shipped over here. Cheers, Jon

·
Registered
111 Posts
Primers are definitely the way to go.
I still have a choke on 1 of my skis and here's what makes it happy. If the engine is cold I choke it and with no throttle I crank it until it rumbles (usually about 5 or 6 seconds). Then I push the choke in and crank it again, maybe give it a little throttle, and it usually cranks up.
If its already warm, no choke and minimal throttle usually does the trick

It seems like every single one of these things has its own unique personality. What works for me may not work for you and vice versa.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts