Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The reason I ask isn't for myself, but it does affect me! My boss (she's also a friend) offered to let me borrow her Jet Ski this Sunday to take to the lake. We already have a boat, tubes, skis, etc, so it will be nice to have an additional watercraft available.

Here is the issue - her husband tells me the ski isn't insured so "don't wreck it" (in a nice way). Not that I was planning on wrecking it in the first place, but it made me think - SHOULD they have insurance? Should I be concerned that they don't? We will be jet skiing on a lake in an area without much traffic or wind or waves, lots of beach area, etc. Pretty calm so I'm not so worried about that, but now my wife is nervous about borrowing the ski.

Aside from that, we already have the plans to pick up and use the Jet Ski sunday and I also found out they don't have the numbers on the side of the ski (even though they bought it early summer last year). He says he does have the registration he'll give me to keep in my car, but does anyone think this will be a huge issue either? Again, I'll be on a calm private area of a lake I've been to dozens of times, barely ever see anyone else at all much less any authorities.

Thanks in advance for any input!

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Insurance is one of those things that you never seem to use when you have it, and kick yourself for lack of coverage when you need it. For my boat and ski, I'm not too worried about myself or my family. I'm insuring all the nuts and drunks that reek havoc on the lake.

I'd say that in your case you should be OK with just you and your wife using the ski in an isolated area. Worst case scenario you total the ski, it sinks, or it gets stolen, then you would have to reimburse your boss for the cost of the ski. If you or your wife were injured, you would be covered by your medical insurance. The big cost would be if you injure someone else or destroy someones boat or property. Then the bills could be insurmountable, but this would be unlikely where you will be using the ski, and as long as you don't invite along friends.

That being said, I'd say that your boss as the owner is taking a chance without insurance, especially if they are letting others use the ski. Let's say you and your wife get thrown off the ski and get hurt, due to some mechanical failure on the ski. Now you could sue your boss, and she would really be SOL without insurance to cover your medical bills, etc..

I doubt the lack of registration numbers will cause any problem as long as you have the registration with you just in case you get stopped (you can put it in the waterproof compartment or a dry bag in the ski).

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Insurance is one of those things that you never seem to use when you have it, and kick yourself for lack of coverage when you need it. For my boat and ski, I'm not too worried about myself or my family. I'm insuring all the nuts and drunks that reek havoc on the lake.

I'd say that in your case you should be OK with just you and your wife using the ski in an isolated area. Worst case scenario you total the ski, it sinks, or it gets stolen, then you would have to reimburse your boss for the cost of the ski. If you or your wife were injured, you would be covered by your medical insurance. The big cost would be if you injure someone else or destroy someones boat or property. Then the bills could be insurmountable, but this would be unlikely where you will be using the ski, and as long as you don't invite along friends.

That being said, I'd say that your boss as the owner is taking a chance without insurance, especially if they are letting others use the ski. Let's say you and your wife get thrown off the ski and get hurt, due to some mechanical failure on the ski. Now you could sue your boss, and she would really be SOL without insurance to cover your medical bills, etc..

I doubt the lack of registration numbers will cause any problem as long as you have the registration with you just in case you get stopped (you can put it in the waterproof compartment or a dry bag in the ski).
Thanks for the input? I was thinking the same thing about my boss and her husband being the ones at risk. My boss' husband is a Neuro Surgeon as well and so he is a prime target for that sort of thing. However, I would not sue if I hurt myself on his ski and we do have medical insurance of course, but I definitely wouldn't let someone borrow mine in this situation.

Aside from that I will have a few family members at the lake with me that may be riding the Jet Ski as well, though now I might not let them, just not sure yet. One of them works FOR my boss' husband (confused yet??), and none of them would sue if they hurt themselves so I still don't think it's too big of a deal.

Either way it's just precautionary as like I said before there is hardly anyone else on this area of the lake - typically in a 5-6 hour day we see 3-4 boats or skis max in the entire area and never get within 500+ feet of another watercraft

I might just take it easy this time and get to know the ski and not let anyone else ride it, and then recommend to my boss to get at least liability insurance for next time. Again, thanks for the input!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Surgeon and doesn't have insurance on a Jet Ski...damn..that just doesn't seem very smart....for what Insurance would cost them, you would think they would be covered. I don't know about you but in this world the way it is today where everyone is looking for a quick buck....makes no sense to be without unless its a money issue,,,then its easier to understand...even at that,.....if you can't afford to keep and maintain it...sell it

1 - 4 of 4 Posts