Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Yammie GP800 was put on the rocks by a couple of girls (Thank God no one was seriously hurt). Anyway, I have some pretty extensive repairs to do on the bottom but I need ideas on how to flip it and hold it upside down without damaging it. I imagine I would have to build some kind of sled with wheels because this project could take a while. Has anyone done anything like this before?

I have been restoring an old boat, so I already have several gallons of epoxy and quite a few yards of 1708 biaxial. I had sprayed my boat console with gelcoat mixed with Duratec which came out great (a ton of work though) and I am wondering whether it would work for this also. The fiberglass on the waverunner looks different from what I am used to seeing. I was afraid it was SMC, but I have the Yamaha Factory service manual for a 1999 GP 800 and in the fiberglass section it says see Yamaha FRP repair manual, so that cheered me considerably.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!!!!

-Muddy

Here is a pic of the damage: Keep in mind that this waverunner was like brand new before it was wrecked and has given me zero problems in all that time.

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
What I would recommend doing is draining all fluids out of the ski and then put some type of cushioning on it. Roll it on it's side cushioning the side, and then continue to roll it onto the handlebars and seat cushioning them as well and then do the work that you need to do.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What I would recommend doing is draining all fluids out of the ski and then put some type of cushioning on it. Roll it on it's side cushioning the side, and then continue to roll it onto the handlebars and seat cushioning them as well and then do the work that you need to do.
Thanks JayDawg... It is looking like the engine and fuel tank will have to be removed to get to the repair area, which would make it considerably easier to flip it as you recommended. I am not convinced that the repair will be strong enough unless I can tie in the repair from both sides since the damage is so bad. If it was in a less critical area I wouldn't worry about it, but that nose has to be able to take a serious pounding.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you also priced some in tact hulls on ebay and considered swapping everything over?
Thanks for the idea. I was actually surprised how many they had on ebay. At the moment, there is not actually anything I could use and all of them were stripped down so much I could just buy another one by the time I replaced all the missing stuff, but a relatively whole one might come up so I will keep an eye out.

thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts