Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting a jet ski soon, and before i take it out, what are some tips not to do to waste gas? im good at doing O's and think its fun but i do feel like thats just blowing my gas away. Is jumping wave's a way to burn gas fast? and if there is any other ways to burn the gas in a jet ski let me know? Thank you.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Just about all skis, like boats, are not very fuel efficient. If you are going to buy a ski, plan in the added cost of lots of fuel for it..........it is not a cheap sport.

That said, all skis burn the most fuel at wide open throttle (WOT). Most skis will burn around 10 gallons per hour (gph) at WOT, but some of the high performance supercharged/turbocharged skis will burn as much as 20 gph at WOT. So, if you like to go fast you will spend more time at the pump.

All skis will have an optimal cruising speed. This is a speed where you are able to get the most efficient gas mileage, and it us usually somewhere between 25 and 35 mph for most sit down type of skis. You can still horse around at this speed, but going from stop to WOT will suck gas.

An example is the Yamaha VX, which is the most fuel efficient 4 stroke ski on the market. It burns 7.5 gph at WOT, and will get about 10 miles per gallon at 31 mph (optimal cruising speed). All your other skis will be worse than that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, my friend like going fast on his jet ski when i like to do my O's and sometimes when i see a big boat speed up to it to catch it and jump there waves but Do you know if creating O's burns the most gas and what way do you think burns most gas? Is it WOT?

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you are worried about gas to the point where you would stop having fun on your ski to save money then perhaps you need to re-consider your purchase? Don't forget about the maintanence and break down costs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm 15 years old my family isn't to a point where they care about the gas, its for me when i need to save my money when i go down to the keys i would use my own money cause i like to chip in, and will pay for some of it. but while im driving it instead of doing something majorly effective to loose gas i can avoid it as much as possible, but just wanted to know the basic knowledge of what takes away the gas in a jetski and what not to do to loose so much gas~ i use to ride my friends jetski and they paid for gas and he has 2 jetski's i would drive one he would drive the other and the one i was on would always loose gas but that might just be the jet ski.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Fair enough. I guess its the same as any petrol powered vechicle. They will use the most gas at high rpm and when really loaded up, eg dragging someone out of the water or carrying lots more weight/people than you need to. If you want to save gas try and sit at a nice constant speed without hard on/off throttle. Try not to hold it at full speed.
However I kind of think that spoils all the fun, my thoughts are always fill it up with as much as I can afford and ride how I like to and if I run out half an hour before the guy who has been riding like a nana all day then I'm not worried because I have twice as much fun :)

Goodluck

ps. nice to see a young fella who wants to pay his way for a change. Keep it up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts