Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1996 Polaris SL 700.

I just got the ski and the starter had power but would not turn at all. Tried tapping it and still nothing. So I took off all the exaust and tried getting the starter out. Took out both mounting bolts and the power cable. It would not budge. Soaked it with lubercant (pb blaster).The starter had corrosion all over it. I tried wiggling it for ever but would not move at all. So I got pry bars, still would bearly move. Lastly I got out a hammer and tried to hit the starter out while prying it out at the same time, and after like 50 hits the starter broke off completly and now the nose piece/bearing is stuck in the block. :madboxer:

Any ideas???? :help:

My only thought is to maybe heat it up with a torch,, I only own a small butane torch so I dont even know if that will do anything...?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Take The Front Cover Off The Motor And Remove The Flywheel And You Can Then Punch Out The Nose Of The Starter. If You Cant/ Dont Want To Takeoff The Cover You Can Take A Small Hacksaw Blade And Cut The Inside Of Nose Until You Can Break It Out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I already got it out...

I took off the front cover. From there I did not have to remove the flywheel because I could reach it with an air hammer and a punch and I knocked it out the other side with a few hits.

Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts