Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I still cant get any info about putting a outboard with a prop on a PWC! I have looked online for weeks and called the Coastguard, DMV, and Cal-Boating. No one knows about it. Where do I find out about it? Does anyone know about this? PLEASE HELP I want on the water!

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Don't waste your time and money trying to do it. You will end up with a unstable platform totally worthless for fishing or anything else. Part of a skis stability is the ballast the motor provides deep in the center of the keel. An outboard strapped to the back of a ski hull will just unbalance the whole mess further. You will spend all your time trying to keep it upright. Plus you don't have to go through the hassle of trying to title a "home-built" boat. I don't know about your state, but it is a real PITA in mine.

Why not just buy a used jon boat and put your outboard on that. You can find them for under $300 (probably less than you would have to put into modifying a ski), and it will give you a much better fishing platform.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't waste your time and money trying to do it. You will end up with a unstable platform totally worthless for fishing or anything else. Part of a skis stability is the ballast the motor provides deep in the center of the keel. An outboard strapped to the back of a ski hull will just unbalance the whole mess further. You will spend all your time trying to keep it upright. Plus you don't have to go through the hassle of trying to title a "home-built" boat. I don't know about your state, but it is a real PITA in mine.

Why not just buy a used jon boat and put your outboard on that. You can find them for under $300 (probably less than you would have to put into modifying a ski), and it will give you a much better fishing platform.
I had a jon boat but got tired of everyone wanting me to take them. I have a 3 person Sea Doo that should carry alot. I want to put a small outboard on it(60lbs). I am going to be trolling for fish at a big lake up here. Slow is fine with me. If its rear heavy can I use lead weights to balance it like on race cars? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I've actually heard of people putting jet ski motors and pumps into a small boat, but never anyone putting an outboard on jet ski hull.

I'm not saying it can't be done, but I don't think it will ever be worth the trouble.

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
I had a jon boat but got tired of everyone wanting me to take them. I have a 3 person Sea Doo that should carry alot. I want to put a small outboard on it(60lbs). I am going to be trolling for fish at a big lake up here. Slow is fine with me. If its rear heavy can I use lead weights to balance it like on race cars? Thanks for any help.
I agree on the Jon boat idea. Just say no if you dont want to take anyone. I think you are wasting your time trying to jerry rig an outboard on a PWC hull. Plus it would like ridicules. If the hull you have is completly gutted, sell it or junk it and buy a working old 3 seater and fish off that if you dont want a jon boat.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts