Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a compression test on my 95 Seadoo gtx 657x, and find the front cylinder has lower compression than the back 80/130. I added a little oil thru the sparkplug hole, restested and the front pressure went back up and both were about even, after a few day I did another compression and the front was back down to 80 again, so after pulling the head off, I find the piston ring is broke, can someone please tell me how to go about changing the piston rings? Can I take the one cylinder case out? I need all the help I can get. Thanks.
:confused:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks JayDawg, after doing a little research and not finding any other way, I do plan on doing both pistons. Next question is - are there any secrets, tips, tricks, or any major things I need to know? This will be my first time (and hopefully last), so any ideas would be so helpful and greatly appreciated, remember I'm a newbie at this whole engine thing. :eek:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again, I have two different manuals and have been pouring over both, seems like it's not too complicated. I was curious if there were any tricks, tips or secrets to this procedure that I should know.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Put tape, rags or whatever to cover up your crankcase when taking pistons off. Circlips are sometimes tough to install, use a very small screwdriver or pick to help. Oil everything. Arrows on pistons point to exhaust side.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, I got the rings done, no problems. Ran great for a while.
But my problem now is when I run full throttle, after about 8 seconds it bogs down, then picks back up after I stop. I think it's in the fuel diaphragm. After running like this for a half hour (just puttin around) it got progressivly worse, when giving it only 1/4 throttle or so it would bog down to nearly nothing.
Should I get a carb kit or a fuel diaphragm kit?
Not sure what carb I have either. Any help?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep Rollo, your right.
I bought some black fuel line to replace all the old gray lines thinking this could be the problem, after buying a carb kit and finding it to be okay. The first line to come off went to the fuel selector valve and that was the problem (the valve itself). I couldn't get the screw and the knob off, so cut the lines and bypassed the the whole valve, and she runs like a champ now for as old as she is. This winter is when I'm planning on replacing the lines and replacing that valve. By the way, where can I get one??? And any tips or hints on replacing it, or the rest of the lines?
Thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts