Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I took my 2002 Kawasaki 1100 ZXi out today for some fun, but I left the hose plug off in the engine compartment. I had been running it around for a few hours, and noticed that it was having trouble accelerating. I would hold down the throttle full on, and I would get only 1/3 of, if that, of the motor's power. It would gradually get better as I let it go, but I'm not sure why this was. When I pulled it in, I unplugged the hull and a huge stream of water came out. I would assume the thing was taking on water with the plug open on the clean out hose. I drained the water and started it back up out of the water. It seemed fine after that.

My question is, with the plug open like that, and all the water in the hull, could that have caused my performance issues? If so, should it run better next time I take it out? It was running like it just wasn't getting a lot of gas, and would die a lot.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would think the weight of the water alone would cause performance issues. 5lbs per gallon. If it was salt water clean it out really well and spray everything down with wd40 or some other lub.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would think the weight of the water alone would cause performance issues. 5lbs per gallon. If it was salt water clean it out really well and spray everything down with wd40 or some other lub.
I drained the hull and took it out the next day. Made sure it was plugged up properly. Thank god it was fresh water.

I got it out on the water, and it ran PERFECT. So I definitely screwed up there. But thank god it didn't get ruined. I just dropped like $1800 on it to get it repaired.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts