Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I am new to waverunner mechanics but got a 92 waverunner111 i picked up that was sitting for 1 to 2 years running. The engine ran great and really flew. Specs say 45mph but it felt like faster. Anyhow i came up to the crossroads of the ICW and the inlet and hit some chop. I got airborne and i guess the jet revved and something let loose. I was dead in the water. Motor still ran until it got hot enough to trip the sensor. My question is what is the most likely culprit and where do i start to look. I am assuming there is some type of tourque transfer going on at the shaft. Is there a coupler that lets go before much damage is done? Can anyone give me an idea of how many parts i should replace once i have it open? Such as impeller, impeller housing, bearings. I guess i start by dropping the plate on the bottom for inspection. I have the manual but would like some info on what usually occurs on an older ski of this model when this happens. I shut it down pretty quick so i dont think there is engine damage, mostly driveline. Just the impellar and housing look to cost 500$ alone. That blows because i only paid 250$ for the ski. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Mate! your ski is ancient and not worth spending much money on. But if you really want to, it will be drive shafts if it made a grinding noise when it slowed up. Or it could be drive coupler. Something in the drive line. Its a pretty easy job pulling apart on those old things if all the bolts arent seized. If its drive shafts, it will probably be the short shaft in the engine bay thats stripped due to the pump housing bearings failing and washing the grease from the spline. Or it could be because an engine mount has failed.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no grinding

Thanks for the info, there was no grinding at all. This all happened as soon as the airborne flight ended (i went up, it revved and when i hit water again no go). Something just stopped spinning the impeller. I have great compression 132 each cylinder. Brand new is i think 135 so i hate to give up on it. Do i start by taking the whole drive line out complete and bench disassemble or go at it piece by piece? Like i said i do have the manual but i think you folks could save me alot of guessing and time.

·
Registered
323 Posts
You can pull the whole external pump unit out as one unit. Take off the ride plate and you will see the bolts for the pump unit. By memory (and don't quote me) there should be 4x12mm bolts that hold the pump vein and liner to the top of the hull and 4x10mm head long bolts that will hold the nozzle, vein and liner together. Pull them all out once you get the ride plate off and leave the nozzle connected at the steering cable. Then you may need a flat screw driver to pry the pump vein and liner out. Inspect the shaft spline. Once you do that unbolt the engine mounts and a few exhaust hoses etc, and pull the short shaft bearing housing out by undoing 3 12mm bolts. Check inside with a torch. If its rusty its probable stuffed. Also check both the drive couplers and rubber. Let me know how you go.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts