Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - I have a 98 Waverunner GP1200W and I don't have a lift or a wedge thing to park it on while its in the water. If I leave it in the water does this cause it to take on water somehow? I have left it "moored" in the water at the lake near my house and the next day there is a lot of water inside and the bottom of the engine is getting wet.

I then unscrew the 2 drains in the rear and run it on plane for a little while and it drains out - Is this bad for the engine?

Is this ok way to drain it or do i need to pull it out of the water?

Is it normal to take on water like this? or does it maybe have a leak?

Thanks for any help.
rm

·
Registered
194 Posts
it has a leak. you should be able to leave it in the water. Here is what you do...take it out of the water. drain all water. Put the plugs in. Now..fill it with water up to the bottom of the engin and maybe higher. The only thin you dont want to happen is water to get into you carbs. You can go as high as the carbs. But you should start to be able to see well before that where it is leaking out. Once again fill it with water and watch where it leaks out and that will tell you what you need to know.:appl:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice and I will try it and see.......I'm glad to know it won't hurt the engine.

If it has a hole or something what kind of patch material would i use?

Thanks again. rm

·
Registered
29 Posts
I would not take the previous advice to the extreme. DO NOT TAKE THE WATER UP TO THE CARBS! If you cover the battery with water, it will have to be replaced as well as other electronics. Too much chance of other problems. Just fill the bottom of the hull up to the bottom of the engine, you should see the leak. BUT first, just check the seals around the plugs to make sure they are in good condition, and check for cracks in the hull.

·
Registered
194 Posts
The entire inside of the machine is made to get wet except the carb intakes, the battery can be completely submerged. It wont hurt a thing. you rookies need to stick to what your good at. Don't make me start quizzing you Bamadave.

·
BORN TO FISH NOT CATCH
1,512 Posts
it is ok to get wet
as long as all the seals are good!!
i bet u got a leak on the drive shaft ot pump housing

·
Registered
6 Posts
similar problem--took on water--Yamaha waverunner

If you guys are still around,,,
We have a Yamaha waverunner and an unfortunate event--drain plugs were not replaced when put into water. Fortunately, the rider did not stop and made it safely back...but, it was left in the water and filled with water overnight. We took it out, drained it, changed the oil about 4 times until it was clear. Removed spark plugs and see oil on them. This must mean oil is on the pistons, right? Any more a novice can do, or are we in for a big bill? Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
227 Posts
FIlling it with water won't tell you everything. There is a water bailer in the bilge that will suck out any accumulated water you may have. If the hose for that falls down it can act as a suction all the time. You'll see it behind the engine where the driveshaft is before the partition. Otherwise, could be the drain plug gaskets, the seals in the driveshaft bearing housing, even the sponsons. Good luck, get a flashlight.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Fedorov is on the money. I would be checking all the glued internal threads for the ride plate. If you have removed the ride plate once or twice, the glue can crack causing a slow leak. Easy to fix with a bit of sikaflex. Also, another common problem is sometimes when people remove the pump unit and install it again without greasing the spline, you can push the 2 O-rings out of the short shaft meaning the water will sit up in there until it corrodes a hole in the drive coupler letting water in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts