Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi! everyone, I don't know much about PWC and I just bought a 1998 yamaha gp800 with 62 hours on it and went last weekend to the lake to tested. It was very hard to start, I had use carburator cleaner in the carburators to make it run and it works fine, cut it off and wait a few seconds and them start right up about 5 minutes try again and I had the same problem hard to start. What this can be? Carburators problems?

Jet Ski seems to have plenty power with just myself on it. I weight 186 Lbs. but when I asked my wife to ride with me (she weights 110 Lbs) the jet ski was very slow in the take off.

I put fresh gas on it, and also new NGKspark plugs.

Any ideas of what kind of problems I may having here and around how much it will cost me to fix it. I paid $1,300 for both jetski and 2001 trailer. Thank you in advance for your reply.

·
Registered
323 Posts
When you stop the ski for a little while, the engine will actually heat up before it cools down meaning the fuel in the carbs will start to evaporate (therefore requiring a cold start procedure). There is a kit you can buy that was made for the 1200motor but can be adapted for the 800. Its called an insulation kit and it is a piece of plastic with gaskets that inserts between the carbs and the reed plate to stop heat soak to the carbs. It also has a return line extension. When your wife gets on, it sounds like it is cavatating (heaps of revs and slow take off). You will have to check your impeller/liner gap. Anything over .7mm is too big. I would recommend a solas stainless prop. Very good and a little pricey but will improve overall performance.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Its a 98 friend, you didnt mention anything about maintenance. If it only has double digit hours on it that means it's been sitting. Try just a simple fuel filter and new plugs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts