Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2x 2019 VX Cruisers

My 18yo son and his buddy took the skis out day before yesterday and had fun, brought them back and cleaned them up. Yesterday, I went out to inspect them for damage and vacuum the water out of the hull. Thought I’d start them. White seemed to run fine, Blue sounded a bit off...gurgling maybe(?) Rough. I didn’t run more than 10 seconds. Maybe a problem. Maybe not.

I asked son how he flushed them, he said, “turn on water, turn on engine; turn off water, turn off engine.” My heart sank.

He also said he wasn’t sure if that was the process, but he and his buddy “followed the directions on the Salt Away bottle.” Means nothing to me.

So here’s the point: if I suspect that maybe some water back flowed into the engine, what’s the next step? Put them in water and see? Take to service and inspect? Is there a port I can open to tell if there’s water? Should I bite the bullet and change the oil? (It’s got 8 hours on the oil.) I looked in top fill port, looked fine to me.

It can’t have run more than 30 seconds like that, including my running yesterday.

I don’t want to do damage by putting in the water. But I also don’t want to spend unnecessary money at the service center.

Help appreciated.

Tom

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Being you've started both already. they don't have water in them as they would have hydraulic locked if they had any in cyl. That is in any quantity.

That being said, I would hook the hose up and run them on water for a few minutes to blow out any possibility of water where it shouldn't be. Then check the oil just for security. Oil should be clean and not look milky. If milky change immediately a couple times after running awhile each time
Being you've started them without issue I don't think there's anything to worry about. The gurgling could just be water in the exhaust where it shouldn't be. But certainly a close call. Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You probably already know this, but it caused problems for me. Remember to check the oil only after the ski has warmed up. If you check it cold it will show low. If you add oil and run it, it will smoke and run rough until you remove the excess oil.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Follow up post: ran the ski as suggested until warm. Checked oil, looked perfect. Took out on water, had 9 hours of fun.
Drank beer.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hilton Head Island is just reopening (slowly) so if you have extra time, trailer the ski(s) down and enjoy some “pre-season”!

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I wish, going balls to wall here at work. I've been in quarantine for work about 6 weeks now. No end in sight yet. Probably another 3 to 4 weeks yet. Still have a pretty high virus rate going in our southern county.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts