Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

New member, hope to spend my summer free time here :D

I attempted searching for a similar thread with no luck, but if someone knows of a thread that does exist on the same subject, feel free to direct me to it.

As the title indicates, does anyone know of a relatively easy (for those with little knowledge of mechanics), and relatively cheap (currently unemployed) way to increase the power out of my VX Cruiser?

Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
You got the wrong ski if you want to go fast. Upgrades are limited and not cheap for the VX. You can add parts 1 at a time for a .5-1 mph increase and save money, or pile them all on together as a package. Here are a couple of option packages that you could install yourself:
1. RIVA VX RPM Kit $1000+ for 3 mph increase is not a great return on your $$$.
2. R&D - Performance Kits - Yamaha - VX-110 - Performer Kit This one claims to add 5-6 mph, but I'd say that is optomistic.
Skis that are fast to start with are also the ones with the most potential for mods (Yamaha SHO, FZR/FZS, Kaw Ultra, Seadoo GTX, RXP, RXT etc.)

You might want to enjoy your VX as is, and save your money for an FZR or FZS down the road (you can get them over 80 mph with mods).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I wasn't suggesting that I wanted to go 80mph. Sorry if I misled my intention. I probably should have been more clear in my original post.

After I posted this thread, I noticed in the front page of the Yamaha section here a thread for the VX review. I read it and noticed that someone had mentioned a "learning mode", to which I inquired:

The VX Cruiser is a nice jet ski it has a learning mode that will not let it go over 35 which for me is fast enough and out of learning mode works even better for the kids. Nice handling can be fast if you want it but more importantly low speed handles well. Hope it answers you question the only thing is where the rear view mirrors are located takes a little adjustment as they sit low on the front sides other than that sweet ski.
Does anyone know if this "learning mode" applies to the 2010 model? The fastest I can recall getting my ski up to was around 44 or so mph, and have been somewhat disappointed. I had made a thread thinking maybe there was an aftermarket way to boost the power to get more speed, but perhaps this may very well be the inhibiting factor? If this is indeed the case, and the ski comes factory preset to be in learning mode, how do I turn it off?

Thanks for any input.
As you can see in my reply, I'm noticing that I'm only going about 44+/-mph, and it seems like I should be able to go faster. Perhaps that is all the speed I'm going to get out of the ski if it is not in this "learning mode", and if that's the case then perhaps maybe I am barking up the wrong tree.

I bought the VX Cruiser because that is all my finances permitted at the time, and the salesperson assisting me touted all of the benefits in terms of fuel economy, which obviously resonates with many of us in times of high fuel prices. Prior to this purchase I owned a 97 Seadoo GTX. Which did go faster, but was very fuel thirsty, among other mechanical problems it was beginning to develop (like oil pump going out), hence wanting to buy a newer ski.

So, that all said, if I can get the ski to go a little faster, say like 50+mph, then I'll be content. Otherwise, if all I can go is 44mph, then I'll just have to suck it up and learn to enjoy "cruising" around until I can afford to purchase a performance ski.

Thanks for the reply, though. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
There is a Low RPM (Learner's) mode on the VX that will limit the top speed. Push the unlock button or start the ski up: 2 beeps mean normal mode and 3 beeps means you are in the low RPM mode (1 beep is lock mode). Hold the unlock button for 4 seconds to switch modes (see the manual). There should be a light on the instrument panel that shows if you are in the low RPM mode.

You should be hitting 51 - 53 mph on the ski with no problems. The speedodometer on the ski will not be accurate, and could be off by as much as 5 mph (usually too high). Have you checked your speed by GPS or radar to see an accurate speed. There are many things that can cause reduced speed. If you confirm 44 mph, I'd take it back to the dealer and let them check it out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am having a similar problem with my 08 VX Cruiser; it hit 53 mph indicated when it was new in 2008, and the next year (and all beyond) it topped out at 47 mph. It has significantly reduced power as well - year 1 it could easily pull up a slalom skier, but no longer. It has been back to the dealer twice to no effect. Very disappointed, would like to know if there is maybe some software flaw in the computer.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I am having a similar problem with my 08 VX Cruiser; it hit 53 mph indicated when it was new in 2008, and the next year (and all beyond) it topped out at 47 mph. It has significantly reduced power as well - year 1 it could easily pull up a slalom skier, but no longer. It has been back to the dealer twice to no effect. Very disappointed, would like to know if there is maybe some software flaw in the computer.
What if anything has the dealer done to try and help? Have you changed plugs, checked air filter, done a compression test? When disarming security system do you hear 2 or 3 beeps?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Dealer replaced plugs and oil, confirmed the air filter was OK, no compression check (had 20 hours at the time). Disarm is 2 beeps, I am aware of the Learning Mode. Next time I take it out, may play around with the Learning Mode to see if that “kicks it out” of its current state. It’s almost as if it is in some interim Learning Mode state.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts