Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am refurbishing a 2002 Waverunner SUV 1200. I replaced the engine, rebuild carbs, new oil/fuel lines, battery, filter, starter, etc. It is working great and love it!

I am now working on the cosmetics and encountered an issue regarding finding a replacement for the inner gunwale black rubber material (GU5-U2512-01-KT). According to all stores I contacted, the part has been discontinued since 2018...

Would any of you have suggestions on either finding this part? or a substitute that can look good/ better than the original? I already purchased the rivets (90267-489US-00) and the outer hard strap (GU5-U2519-01-00). That discontinued part should have some similarity in many boat applications?, just don't know where/ what to look for...

Photo of the left front end where prior damage was caused. The gunwale was cut and damage to the rivet inserts below... Need to be removed, epoxy repairs, paint and add a new/used gunwale. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hi,
Thanks. I have tried most big online stores and all said the part is discontinued. I thought I had found one on Ebay today but it was the XXX019 not the XXX012... I would expect this part would cross over multiple years/types of Waverunners. Possibly other brands too...

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Unfortunately the SUV was only made 3 maybe 4 yrs. So this kind parts are going to be kind of scarce. I'll do a bit of looking and post back.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Found 7, search the superseded part number on eBay. Search "Yamaha GU5-U2519-00-00" they are all in Japan and will take a month to get.

When you install have a helper and a heat gun. I just replaced one on my GPr. There only one side long and it had shrunk about 1.5 inches. I started in the middle and heated and stretched to align next hole. Going one hole at a time. Heat it just warm to the touch.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello,
Thanks for the install tips. I imagine doing this on a hot day, with a heat gun, will be easier.

Interesting how you are falling for the same "artificial intelligence" promotion as I have :) The search engines often offers the next "best thing" which is part XXX02519, not part XXX02512! The only XXX02512 on Ebay now is/ was apparently available in Japan for ONLY $560, shipped :)

Marinas/ boat repair shops might have ideas. I am all ears about solutions for this...

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
U2519 was a typo on my part in my search. searching u2512 finds one. Cost 560 and change shipped. Again from Japan. Unfortunately with these older skis you take what you can find and prices are high as they have you buy the short hair.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Maybe one possible option would be to do the gun Wales like the GPR. Use the nose piece from a GPR and 2 side pieces long enough to cover your ski.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Exactly where I am heading with this. I could probably salvage the sides and just cut/ repair the front, then add a cover over the front end from other ski parts that have a similar bow shape? The GPR bow may work indeed. Need to look at bow shapes that could work.

The gunwale material itself is basic, not worth $560. It is basically held by rivets that can move up/down the sides, just drill a hole... I highly suspect other Waverunners years have gunwale material that could work on the SUV as well. Maybe an issue with length but OK to butt pieces together. Thanks for your input

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Actually the xlt sides and nose would probably work best as it's closest in size to the SUV. I can get measurements from rear corner to rear corn to determine if there would be enough material to go around the SUV.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts