Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

My name is Ron.....I am from South Louisiana and looking to purchase a PWC.

I am looking at a Yamaha XL800 on Craigslist......he is local and the ski is available for a test run.

I am looking for something as a first ski to see if I like it without a large investment.

Here is a link to the Ski.

2001 YAMAHA WAVE RUNNER XL 800

Is the $4700.00 too much for this Ski? Anything specific to look for when I go look in person??? Any history of problems with this ski? Is another brand/model better suited for a first ski? I am not looking for a rocket......just something to cruise around on the weekends.

KBB says $3800 Retail and S2600.00 Trade.

I am a complete Noob when it some to these things......just thought I would ask some folks that have experience with these things.

Thanks in Advance.

Ron

·
Registered
194 Posts
Xl 800

Ron,

I am in the rental business. I rented the 2001 XL 800s from 2001 till the end of 2004. We put almost 600 hrs on each machine without a glich. Those machines unless you do something wrong are the stoutest most reliable two strokes on the planet. We had 12 of them and one blew up due to renter error. Gas in the oil tank DUH!!!

Those machines do reqiure Yamalibe because of the semisynthetic compound and the dtergents that keep your powervalves clean.

In 2004 we got the xlt 800s which are the same engines and in 06 we switched to four strokes because of customer demand.

The price is high because after july 4 all watercraft values go down. But in spring it will be back up so take advantage of the situation and offer him a fair 4000-4200 cash quick like. it is like an auction, go with cash and tell him the book says and offer him the little bit more than the book.

you also have to go back to the book cause you are off on value. Go to nada, add cover,trailer,stainless impeller, and 500 mint condition if it is.

4500 max you will love the machine I gaurantee it. Great for baby to grandma! I still own one.:thumbsup::thumbsup::appl:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
XL800's

bpann1

How were your XL800's in regards to fuel and oil consumption.

I have been reading about 2 stroke vs 4 stroke and wondering which way to go.

RRP

1 - 4 of 4 Posts