Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 800 XLT. It has about 60 hours on it. I am the second owner.

It has been running great all summer. Went to fire it up today and it was making a "starter" type buzzing sound. It would not turn over at all.

I checked the spark plugs, checked the fuse (Which was broken.) I replaced the fuse with a new one and upon firing it up the ski still made the same sound, only slightly louder. I then tried to jump the battery thinking it may be dead or low. With the battery charging, I turned it over and nothing but the same buzzing noise.

I fired it up last weekend in the driveway for a about 10 seconds to warm it up before I went out. Got tied up and never ended up going out. But it fired right up no issues. No issues until today.

Does anyone know if this is the starter? or something else?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Scott

·
Registered
11 Posts
Could be missing teeth on Bendix. We just fixed similar problem on XL1200. Could hear starter spinning but would not crank engine. Even swapped out starter with same result. Finally took off magneto cover and found bendix missing a couple of teeth (can't see, you have to feel with fingers). If it happens to stop with missing Bendix teeth adjacent starter, it will spin forever without engaging Bendix. Beware: Although new Bendix is fairly cheap on ebay, it is a real joy to replace due to poor access (on XL1200 anyway).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Buzzing is generally the solenoid not having enough juice to turn the starter over. Try jumping the battery with a booster first to eliminate a battery issue.

Quick way of bypassing soleniod is to jump positive lead straight to starter post (access sucks on this model) and be careful not to arc on the motor. If it bumps the motor over, replace soleniod (its inside the black box with the spark plug wires)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts