Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
New poster here looking for knowledge. I tried the search feature but didn't find a post with my particular question so here goes...

I have a 1998 Yamana GP800 Limited Edition that I've owned for about 4 years without having any issues so far (except battery). It has a 2 stroke engine with about 120 hours on it. Never been in salt water, always flushed after each use, stored indoors etc. I have the hose adapter that allows me to run the engine with the ski on the trailer and recently noticed that water only comes out one of the two discharge nozzles on the port forward side of the hull. My manual shows an illustration with water coming out both nozzles so now I am wondering if something needs attention. I am not getting any over heating alarms while flushing or riding the watercraft.

I looked in the engine compartment and I see two hoses that feed those ports. one hose is connected to the top of the cylinder head while the other connects to a huge boot on the exhaust system. As best as I can tell, the cylinder head will have water pressure while using the hose adapter but it looks like the exhaust pipe might pick up water from the impeller drive. Is this correct? If so, then it would be normal to have water only out one nozzles while on the trailer....correct?

While riding, I can't see those nozzles because they are below the bow line so I asked my wife if water was coming out both ports and she said it was only coming out one port. So, my question is: Where does the water come for that second nozzle and should I be seeing water out of both nozzles while on the trailer or in the water at idle?

I can blow air through both hoses so they appear to be clear of any obstructions. :dunno:

Secondary question....why have water in the exhaust system? Isn't that asking for trouble?

I will try and post a pic...(not sure if I'll be allowed since I am a new user)

Attachments

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I don't know if this applies to the 2 strokes, but it does for the 4 strokes. It is normal to only see water out of the port side overflow at idle. Water does not come out of the starboard side overflow until the engine is over 1/2 throttle (4-5000 rpms on the 4 strokes). Sometimes you will see water out of both sides when running the ski on a hose, if you have sufficient hose pressure. You can also clamp off the cooling water inlet line, and this will often force more water through the system, so you see it coming out of both overflows (much of the water running through a hose will simply pass through the cooling water inlet line onto the ground, never passing through the ski).

Water is normal in the exhaust system. In fact, that is how it is cooled, and it also helps muffle the system. There is actually a large chamber in the system called the "waterbox", which may have a significant amount of water in it. Not a bad idea to run the ski dry on the trailer for 15-20 seconds after a ride (and after you've flushed it with fresh water if you had it in salt water), blipping the throttle to clear some of the water from the engine and exhaust system.........You should do this 3-5 times (with a couple of hours in between) at the end of the season as part of the winterization process to remove water that might corrode and freeze before storage.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thanks...so it could possibly be normal. Next time I put it in the water I will have someone watch both ports while I am at speed and see if water comes out. The rear water spout works fine (the one that shoots 15ft into the air...)

Thanks for the info...:)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts