Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a pair of identical F-12's 2002. They are mainly in salt water. Since I've had them (except for 1 occasion) they have always been in the same water at the same time. Both have had the same maintenance done at the same time. Went out to start them up recently. One started right up. Other did not. Motor just cocked slight to one side like something was blocked up. Pulled plugs and motor would still not turn over. My conclusion from reading posts in here was seized impeller which is obviously a whole lot better than a seized motor. So, I pulled the pump. Sure enough the impeller does not not turn and a quick bump on the starter shows that the motor does. So what contributes to impeller seizure like this? Anything that I could have done better to prevent this? Because it happened to one is it going to happen soon to the other? I have found a complete jet pump assembly with impeller still in it on ebay and have ordered it. I have been assured by the seller that the impeller turns freely and the ski was only used in fresh water. So basically, I'm looking for 3 things:

1. Can this failure be prevented and if so how?
2. Can the seized pump be rebuilt in any way so it can be used again?
3. Any tips on re-installation and what should be done to lubricate things while its still all apart would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
236 Posts
The stainless liner has corrosion behind it that has expanded and pushed it into the impeller. Salt infiltrates between the liner and the stator housing. The liner is not repalceable. You can buy a pump with stator housing from Ebaymotors or just the housing from Honda of East Toledo. If you buy used, make sure it was not used in the salt. Honda East of Toledo's Honda PWC Parts Finder

1 - 2 of 2 Posts