Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 98 tigershark L1000 last summer and it ran great. I winterized it around October and took the waterfilter off and stored it not wanting to risk damage to it. When winterizing I noticed that the starter wasn't turning the bendix. So I recently took it to the shop and had the bendix replaced. Anxious to see it in the water and make sure it ran ok I took it to the lake and took off. It ran fine for about a minute or two then I notice the temperature guage had lit up and motor was idling down. Knowing that the tigersharks automatically idle down when overheated I looked where the water that cools the engine comes out and all I saw was smoke. I killed it immediately and got someone to tow me to the dock and trailored it and took it home. After cooling I realized in my haste I had forgoten to put the water filter back on so that is why it overheated. No water. I cranked it again to make sure it would start and it started with no problem. I killed it within 5 seconds. I put the water filter back on but have not had a chance to take it back to the lake. I was just wanting to see what some of your thought were as to if you thought it could still have caused engine trouble and also to see what I should do from here.
Thanks.

·
Registered
114 Posts
You need to take it back to the water or hose test it! If it runs hot again then its to the old diagnostic chart starting with impeller or water intake obstruction! Let me know when you hit the water with it! I have been off the site for a while but I will be answering questions till we get slammed again!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Took it back to the lake

Thanks for your post. I wasn't sure if I needed to clean the water intake or anything like that. So like you said I took it to the lake yesterday with the water filter put back in and it seemed to be running fine. I ran it longer than I did when it overheated and the overheat warning light did not come back on. I don't know if it was just because I was listening when I haven't really listened to the motor in the past but it seemed to make more of a light tapping noise when I first got it to the lake but as I rode it it seemed to disappear. I still have fuel stabilizer in the gas so I'm gonna syphon that out and put some fresh in. Someone had told me that that may be a contributing factor the noise. I also talked to my brother who knows more about engines than I do and he said that they can sometimes make a tapping noise when overheated but it can smooth out as you ride it longer. Any thoughts.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts