Personal Water Craft Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 98 tigershark L1000 last summer and it ran great. I winterized it around October and took the waterfilter off and stored it not wanting to risk damage to it. When winterizing I noticed that the starter wasn't turning the bendix. So I recently took it to the shop and had the bendix replaced. Anxious to see it in the water and make sure it ran ok I took it to the lake and took off. It ran fine for about a minute or two then I notice the temperature guage had lit up and motor was idling down. Knowing that the tigersharks automatically idle down when overheated I looked where the water that cools the engine comes out and all I saw was smoke. I killed it immediately and got someone to tow me to the dock and trailored it and took it home. After cooling I realized in my haste I had forgoten to put the water filter back on so that is why it overheated. No water. I cranked it again to make sure it would start and it started with no problem. I killed it within 5 seconds. I put the water filter back on but have not had a chance to take it back to the lake. I was just wanting to see what some of your thought were as to if you thought it could still have caused engine trouble and also to see what I should do from here.
Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Took it back to the lake

Thanks for your post. I wasn't sure if I needed to clean the water intake or anything like that. So like you said I took it to the lake yesterday with the water filter put back in and it seemed to be running fine. I ran it longer than I did when it overheated and the overheat warning light did not come back on. I don't know if it was just because I was listening when I haven't really listened to the motor in the past but it seemed to make more of a light tapping noise when I first got it to the lake but as I rode it it seemed to disappear. I still have fuel stabilizer in the gas so I'm gonna syphon that out and put some fresh in. Someone had told me that that may be a contributing factor the noise. I also talked to my brother who knows more about engines than I do and he said that they can sometimes make a tapping noise when overheated but it can smooth out as you ride it longer. Any thoughts.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts