Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I have a Kawasaki STX 12F and yesterday I took my jetski out for the first time this year. I picked it up from service a couple months ago (it had a recall) an it has been in the garage until I took it out this weekend.

It started on the first try and worked perfectly for about 20 minutes, and then when we were switching drivers the motor stopped. Now when I try to crank it it only cranks once.. I have checked the oil and its good so I doubt (or hope) the motor hasnt seized up.

Anyone have any suggestions for what it can be? And is it an easy fix?

Thank you very much

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Already tried re-charging the battery with no luck. Cables were also reattached to the battery so there shouldnt be a bad connection there. Are there any other places I should check for bad connections? Oh and when I try starting it, the display shuts down like if I turn the ignition on and off.. Does it usually do this when you start it?

Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright.. Will see if I can check some more connections when I get home from work. I just wouldnt think it would even crank once if there was a bad connection. Is this a common occurance on this PWC model?

Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tried checking the connections I found and couldnt find any bad ones. I also hooked up an amp meter and the battery went from 12 to 4 volt when I pushed the start button.. again.. dont know if this is normal.

Think it would help to take the sparkplugs out and see if I can crank it then? At least I'll know that the motor isnt seized up?

Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Turns out there was a dead cell in the battery. Called the local Kawasaki shop and they said a new one would be about $90!!

Do I need this one or can I get a generic PWC battery from a third party vendor?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
After talking to the dealer where I got it they suggested that I hook it up to the car to see if that would make it crank and start before I bought a new battery. Tried that with no luck.

Still shows 12V when ignition is on and only 4V when I push the start button even when hooked to a car battery.

Checked the cables from the battery to the starter and everything seems fine. Cant really find any other lose cables either.. looked over all the connections I could find.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts