Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend just got a 550 with a pipe and water box. It will start but it backfires and will not rev up. it has 120 psi on both cylinders new plugs and gas. I took the timing cover off and when it runs, barely, the timing light shows the pointer between the two marks, but i cant check total advance. the carb looked clean when i took it apart, but im gonna throw another one on tomorrow. When i check the timing the pointer was between the marks when the timing light was hooked up to the rear cylinder, the one closer to the pump. is that the cylinder you check? Any ideas on why its backfiring? I tried to pull the flywheel but i was unable to even when using an impact wrench. i read somewhere that these are prone to have a failure with the woodruf key, how hard is it to pull off the flywheel usually? any help is appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi, you have to get yourself a flywheelpuller, otherwise it's
almost imposible to get it of, maybe if your very handy with steel
you can make one you're own, It's round shaped (size of the flywheel) with one hole in the middle wih a big screw inside,
and tree holes around it to attach it with tree screws to the flywheel,
you got it??
Why I can't insert pictures from my computer??
Makes it a lot easyer to explain!
greetz from Holland

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was using a harmonic balacer puller but it wasn't coming off, until someone had the bright idea to hit it with a hammer. so i got the fly wheel off. the stator looked good, there was a notch on it with lined up with part of the case, so i assumed the timing hadn't changed. I switched the plug wires to the opposite cylinder and the ski runs exactly the same, doesn't rev, and backfires. very rarley it will build a couple r's but will immediatley fall off and continue with a rough idle, Im thinking its something with the ignition. any ideas as what could be bad, i have a good spark and the cdi box is clean.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hmm, I've got the same problem with my 750sx, :mad:
must be something with the ignition,
maybe the cdi box??
It's also possible that the crankshaft is a little bit twisted,
that happens sometimes after a rock or something hits the impellor
I'm gonna take care of my 750 next week,
maybe I can tell you more about it then

1 - 6 of 6 Posts