Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i take my 1990 JS440 to the lake and it doesnt seem to really pull me...im 220lbs and im not sure if its due to me being in that range? but ill go and i have to fight it to stand up...im full throttle on it and it just doesnt wanna pull me...my gf gets on it and it seems to rip...i do know that the bat was dead so i jumped it and it was fine for a bit but died once more...im sure i need a bat and am going to get one.....is there a problem or are the 440s just gutless?

·
Registered
811 Posts
Most riders in this forum ride sitdown skis that aren't 21 years old , second of all it is a Kawasaki. MIght try GREEN HULK forum. There are plenty of guys thats still ride those antiques.:dunno:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have an 82 and 87 JS550. They dont have a ton of power either. You have to remember, chances are that this engine hasn't seen a rebuild. In 21 years things start to wear out. Also, 220lbs is a lot of weight to pull out of the water. I weight in at 160lbs and my 550 can do some stuff, but not like the new ones.

Having said that... it should get you out of the water and go. I would consider a top end rebuild and maybe a High Compression Head. You may also look at re-tuning the carb. If you want I can send you the page form the maintenance manual that gives you a step by step on how to properly tune the machines.

Your 440 should get up and go with you on it. It will take longer with you on it that someone my size, but it should still do it. Hop on youtube and tell me if it performs like the JS440 on there or worse or MUCH worse. I'll see what i can do to help. I love working on these things.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I'm a stand up guy, and yeah it will get you out of the water, but it's not going to do what you want. Is 916 where you are from, and if so where do ride?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm about the same size as you and I use to have a JS440 as well. I took it out 2 times and I was over it! I think the main problem is the torque and highspeed sucks on them for people our size. I could get up to my knees on the thing, but then would just tip over. Then again, I was a new stand up rider at the time. I think you probably need a 600 or bigger to make it worth while. Probaby would be more stable at a higher speed. just my .02.
so i take my 1990 JS440 to the lake and it doesnt seem to really pull me...im 220lbs and im not sure if its due to me being in that range? but ill go and i have to fight it to stand up...im full throttle on it and it just doesnt wanna pull me...my gf gets on it and it seems to rip...i do know that the bat was dead so i jumped it and it was fine for a bit but died once more...im sure i need a bat and am going to get one.....is there a problem or are the 440s just gutless?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts