Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please can someone help me as I'm running out of ideas and places to look. I have a 440 which I have rebuilt the engine. It starts fine out of water and works for about 5 minutes in the wtare then cuts out. It wont then start until the next day! I have check the plugs and they are fine, Compression test on each cylinder is about 110. There doesn't seem to be any water in the engine when it cuts out (spark plugs dry just a bit dirty). I have a primer that pumps fuel to the carbs ok. It is throwing me that it works for a while and then stops suddenly and then wont start for a day. Any ideas on where to look/start would be gratefully recieved as I would like to try and get some serious time on the water. Thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
Please can someone help me as I'm running out of ideas and places to look. I have a 440 which I have rebuilt the engine. It starts fine out of water and works for about 5 minutes in the wtare then cuts out. It wont then start until the next day! I have check the plugs and they are fine, Compression test on each cylinder is about 110. There doesn't seem to be any water in the engine when it cuts out (spark plugs dry just a bit dirty). I have a primer that pumps fuel to the carbs ok. It is throwing me that it works for a while and then stops suddenly and then wont start for a day. Any ideas on where to look/start would be gratefully recieved as I would like to try and get some serious time on the water. Thanks

Check for spark after it quits running.... That would be a good start... If it sparks, then check for fuel. If you have both and it won't start.. Dunno...
If it doesn't spark, That's way over my head in diagnosing....
One of the experts may have to intervene..

Good Luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have done the tests as suggested and find I dont have any spark!! Put new plugs in and still no spark!! Could it be due to the stator on its way out or getting wet and so only works again when it has dried out (doesn't seem to get very wet inside the hull)? Or could it be down to timing? Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had problems like that last year it would run for a couple minutes and then kill and not start for a couple hours. Turns out my stator was going dead so replaced it over the winter now it runs fine

·
Registered
14 Posts
Open up your electronics box, if you find moisture let it dry out over night, put some grease on the o-ring and seal it back up. I once got a great deal on a totally rebuilt engine that fell on its face and quit for no reason what so ever, and was a teaspoon of water shorting in the box.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts