Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I tore my '84 JS440 apart this past spring in anticipation of restoring it.

Let the restoration commence!

------------------------------------------
So, lets see where I started. When bought this thing about 6 years ago it looked just like this except it still had the original 440 engine in it. After 2 summers with the 440, I had a chance at a 550 engine and swapped that in and that's how its been ever since. It runs strong, is dead reliable, but looks like junk.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Back from the paint shop!

FYI, if anyone is interested, Ronnie Adams at Adams Motorsports & Graphics in Chattanooga did all the decals, and can remake the original factory stripe.

and with the freshly painted pump and ride plated installed:

stay tuned

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
got the chinpad recovered and on the handlepole:

and got the new bars on and polished some of that aluminum under there.:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got the engine back in tonight.

the end is in sight.

Anybody got ideas on how to clean up my stainless steel expansion chamber? degreaser? wire wheel?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Finished about 6 weeks ago but I've been slow on getting some pics up. It's great to finally have it in the water.

The simple black on green paint scheme looks like a believable factory color scheme to me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Removal

Wow what a great job! I'm impressed.
I too have a 440 that I'd like to do a 550 swap with. As for removing the engine, do you have any resources on how to do this (ie picture tutorial?)

Thanks,

Ryan

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi im in the process or repainting my jetski and like your colour do you have a shade referance or any info on the colour or what paint was used Cheers Nigel

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi im in the process or repainting my jetski and like your colour do you have a shade referance or any info on the colour or what paint was used Cheers Nigel
I don't have a color reference. Its not true Kawasaki Green (I didnt want to pay the $200 per quart) but its a custom mix to color match the Kawasaki Green, I forget the brand.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well Done

Beautifully finished. I would love to take out my motor and beef it up. Is it a rediculous amount of work to pull the motor? Anyway, super awesome old school JET SKI.
:appl:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
no, its not really that hard to pull the motor. Theres some stuf you've got to get out of the way (gas tank, ignition box, exhaust hose, throttle cable, etc), but once that's taken care of, its just those 4 big bolts at the motor mounts and it should come right out.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Have you ever thought of upgrading to a finger throttle?
Actually it came with a finger throttle when I bought it many years ago. I prefer thumb throttles, so I might say I "upgraded" to a thumb throttle soon thereafter.

·
Registered
8 Posts
nice color scheme, looks the same or similiar to earl production kawas Color from 73 to 75, NICE! Retro and NICE, CLEAN

What is your paint color code????

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks. I was going for a clean retro look that looks like it could've been a factory color scheme.

I paid someone to do the paint and he got a custom color match automotive paint base coat / clear coat (PPG I think). But that's all I can remember.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts