Personal Water Craft Forum banner

JS440 restoration

19K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  mainejs550 
#1 · (Edited)
I tore my '84 JS440 apart this past spring in anticipation of restoring it.

Let the restoration commence!

------------------------------------------
So, lets see where I started. When bought this thing about 6 years ago it looked just like this except it still had the original 440 engine in it. After 2 summers with the 440, I had a chance at a 550 engine and swapped that in and that's how its been ever since. It runs strong, is dead reliable, but looks like junk.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Back from the paint shop!

FYI, if anyone is interested, Ronnie Adams at Adams Motorsports & Graphics in Chattanooga did all the decals, and can remake the original factory stripe.

and with the freshly painted pump and ride plated installed:

stay tuned

#6 · (Edited)
Finished about 6 weeks ago but I've been slow on getting some pics up. It's great to finally have it in the water.

The simple black on green paint scheme looks like a believable factory color scheme to me.

#12 ·
I don't have a color reference. Its not true Kawasaki Green (I didnt want to pay the $200 per quart) but its a custom mix to color match the Kawasaki Green, I forget the brand.

#14 ·
no, its not really that hard to pull the motor. Theres some stuf you've got to get out of the way (gas tank, ignition box, exhaust hose, throttle cable, etc), but once that's taken care of, its just those 4 big bolts at the motor mounts and it should come right out.

#16 ·
Have you ever thought of upgrading to a finger throttle?
Actually it came with a finger throttle when I bought it many years ago. I prefer thumb throttles, so I might say I "upgraded" to a thumb throttle soon thereafter.

#18 ·
Thanks. I was going for a clean retro look that looks like it could've been a factory color scheme.

I paid someone to do the paint and he got a custom color match automotive paint base coat / clear coat (PPG I think). But that's all I can remember.

#23 ·
It's holding up well. I keep it waxed and don't let it sit out in the sun for days on end. I have a lot light scratching on the underside and some wear marks from the handle pole, but that's to be expected especially when riding in a big dirty river like the Tennessee. I don't really have any recent pictures. It looks pretty much the same.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.