Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, Im new here :)

I just bought me a used 2001 Kawasaki STX DI jet ski, for $4500, The Ski only has 43 hrs on it, Has not 1 scratch, and no bottom scratches on the entire jet ski, also has a brand new battery and spark plugs. I think i got a pretty good deal. I went and test drove it for about 1 hr, and it ran very strong and great.

My question is, Im not very familiar with jet ski`s, and was wondering if theres any problems that these jet ski`s might have that would be common?

I know you have to keep oil in them regularly, Every jet ski is like that i beleive, but if there is anything i should know, could u please give me a heads up, Thanks :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Get a manual

I highly recommend getting a manual from Kawasaki if you don't have one. Though you won't be trying to keep up with warranty compliance, you DO want to make sure you are doing at least as much maintenence as the factory recommends. I don't know how it has changed, with the advent of the 4 strokes (I have a STX-15F), but the current models require maintenence every 25 hours of operation, but it is a simple oil change.

Also, there are some shop manuals (that run $25-60) that are pretty handy if you are actually going to DO the recommended work yourself.

Every time it comes out of the water:
1. Flush out the engine properly (I ride in salt water, this is critical to me)
2. Hose down and WIPE DOWN the hull. Wipe it down so you are putting eye balls on the whole boat every time it comes out of the water.
3. Check relevant fluids as appropriate and check out the engine compartment to see if anything is obviously wrong (loose wires, leaks...)

shooter

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the STX DI too. The only problem I've had is with the bilge and spark plugs. Make sure and change the plugs out. They are expensive ($18 a piece). It they are not firing right the rev limiter will kick in causing you to run only at 3500 rpm's. Make sure the drain plugs are in each time you take it out and flush the bilge system every once in a while. The bilge system info is in the owners manual. I have had mine swamp once. Overall a nice craft.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the STX DI too. The only problem I've had is with the bilge and spark plugs. Make sure and change the plugs out. They are expensive ($18 a piece). It they are not firing right the rev limiter will kick in causing you to run only at 3500 rpm's. Make sure the drain plugs are in each time you take it out and flush the bilge system every once in a while. The bilge system info is in the owners manual. I have had mine swamp once. Overall a nice craft.
Is there a way to Keep the nose from submarinening at idle and slow speeds .. this ski seems to have a heavy nose and kinda stinks in rougher water

·
Registered
8 Posts
Mine does that too, not much you can do about it. Try sitting towards the rear when going slow and try to have the storage it front empty. Other wise make sure and throttle up just before you start to plane out so that the nose is up, to get the water to the back and then gun it to get the water flushed out. Especially after cruising in a no wake zone for a while. I still look in the motor compartment every once in while after it has been floating in the beach area at lakes. This thing seems to take on water from around the seat and nose area. (Drain plugs in of course) My old STS never had this problem. I could even leave the drain plugs out and it would take a long time to get water in it sitting still. It kind of had a flat hull design and didn't load up on water like the STX V-hull. Hope this helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts