Personal Water Craft Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
You can check the oil on the hose, but you may need to run it a little longer than 5 min. to get an accurate reading. Remember to start the engine before the water, and turn off the water before you turn off the engine on the hose.

You can get stuff from here: Parker Yamaha.Com and Parker Sports Center Home I use K&N oil filters and get them and the spark plugs off Amazon. You can find a cheap oil extractor at Walmart, or many auto parts stores.

The maintenance is pretty easy to do yourself. Don't be surprised to see a $200 bill from the dealer.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I also noticed when i took the seat off today, there is a black hose that hooks up underneath the seat in the rear that says 'vent' on it, however the other end is not hook to anything. What does this end go to?
I forgot to mention that the vent hose goes to the battery. There should be a little port on the top of the battery on one end if it is a Yamaha battery that you connect the hose to. Most maintenance-free batteries will not have this port.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Sorry to hear about damage to your new ski. That sucks! Hope you get is straightened out.

Here is another good place to shop for stuff for your ski: ISLAND RACING

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Nasty looking scrape, but should be easily fixable. My Triton trailer has a similar piece, but at least they put a sturdy rubber bumper over it, so it doesn't scrape the bottom of the ski. My son managed to run the bottom of my ski over a submerged rock a few weeks ago. I have a very similar problem on the bottom of my ski now to fix this winter.

With these Yamaha 4 strokes, you need to get the engine hot to check or change the oil. I make it a point to check mine on the water after I've ridden at least 10-15 minutes. On the water it is perfectly level, and hot enough to get a good reading. You don't want to let it sit around or the oil drains back into the system and you don't get a good reading.........check it right after you get off. You can do it on the hose, but you need to run it longer than 5 minutes or it will not be hot enough.

Over filling the oil on these skis is an extremenly common problem, and you see it fairly often done at dealerships. You can't do it like a car or you will get it wrong everytime. If your is overfilled, be sure to check the air filter for signs of oil.......even a little on the filter will reduce performance. Overfilling oil also tends to foul the spark plugs. I recommend always changing the oil when the engine is hot. If you don't you will not remove many of the suspended particulates, and you will also not be able to get as much oil out, because it has drained back into the engine.

I'm pretty sure the KN 204 filter is the one your want. Shoot for a hot oil level 1/2 way between the marks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts