Personal Water Craft Forum banner

Just bought my first seadoos... HELP!

3K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Outlaw 
#1 ·
I just bought my first seadoos and got a great deal but not sure they were as well taken care of as I would like to begin to take care of them.

So, my question for all of you is what steps should I take to clean them up.

The first is a 1996 XP (800 - All Yellow) - It runs well except I was told the speedometer doesn't work.

The second is a 1995 XP - It currently does not run and only clicks. The owner told me it worked fine and then sat for a winter and didn't start the next season.

The obvious step is to check the batteries and replace if needed and replace the spark plugs.

What else should I look to take out and clean, replace, etc.

Thanks for any help! I look forward to learning about everything.

#2 ·
I just bought my first seadoos and got a great deal but not sure they were as well taken care of as I would like to begin to take care of them.

So, my question for all of you is what steps should I take to clean them up.

The first is a 1996 XP (800 - All Yellow) - It runs well except I was told the speedometer doesn't work.

The second is a 1995 XP - It currently does not run and only clicks. The owner told me it worked fine and then sat for a winter and didn't start the next season.

The obvious step is to check the batteries and replace if needed and replace the spark plugs.

What else should I look to take out and clean, replace, etc.

Thanks for any help! I look forward to learning about everything.[/QUOT

First things first, I would pull the carbs off both skis and inspect and clean if needed.

If they have fuel filters replace them.

On the 95 XP you will need to see if it cranks with a new battery. If it doesn't you may have big problems with the engine being seized. You won't know until you know that you have a good battery.

As far as the speedo goes it is analog so there is probably a water wheel and cable running from the back of the ski, check it to see if it spins. Also inspect the cable to make sure it is attached at both ends.

As far as a good service practice spray your engine compartment with CRC heavy corrosion inhibitor.

#3 ·
Thanks for the quick response. I will try your suggestions. I was told I need to premix the oil and gas. Is this pretty common? Should I still fill with oil? I also noticed a small hole that is in the back of the ski. Not in the hull but below the seat perfectly centered. If it isn't designed to be there then it was definitely intentionally drilled there. Any ideas?

Thanks.

#4 ·
If there isn't a tow/hook eye on the back below the seat then that is what the hole is from MTL.

The only reason you would have to premix is either you don't have oil injection or you do and it doesn't work.

If you want to fill the oil tank and check it, until you see the level drop continue to use pre mix once you know the oil injection is working you can stop or lower your pre mix ratio. If the oil pump is working you will soon know by the high amount of blue stinky two stroke smoke from double oil.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.