Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2000 Kawa Ultra 150, 100 hours well maintained. I got it with a double trailer for 3500. (got the double trailer because I plan on buying another ski) I know the guy who had it put a stainless impeller in it and a bilge pump. Is there anything else besides good maintainence I can do to keep it running smoothly.

Ive have heard of "fogging" but Im not sure what that is. I have also heard of a d plate, not sure about that either. Is there any "must do" things to make it last longer.The ski was run in fresh water, and is immaculate and seems very fast.

Its missing the traction pads on one side, not sure why. No wrecks no major work done on it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Congats, man! I bought a 2000 Ultra 150 brand new, back then and loved it...........wish I never would have sold it. I would reccomend removing the oil injection system and converting to pre-mix fuel for reliabilty. Also, I always used synthetic oil just for that extra layer of engine protection. That motor will provide 500+ hours of relaible performance if maintained correctly.

But, mostly just enjoy the Ultra,I am seriosly thinking about buying another one......................soon.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man

Two questions back at ya, Do you know of any good threads for converting the Ultra 150 to premix and what kind of synthetic oil do you prefer?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Two questions back at ya, Do you know of any good threads for converting the Ultra 150 to premix and what kind of synthetic oil do you prefer?
Ummm, I'll try and do a search.............Basically, you will remove the oil pump, lines and oil tank, block the carb intake where the oil lines were, Install a block-off plate where the oil pump was then mix you fuel with a 50:1 ratio.

As far as oil, I would always use Polaris Gold, but any of the full synthetic 2-stroke oils work well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yeah, the oil pump system in Jet Ski's are prone to failure. It IS convenient, but the units fail sometimes and even more often the plastic oil lines will dry out, crack or get gummed up. Any time that 2-cycle engine is not getting any oil intake the high temp of burning gas only will lock up your motor causing 1000's in damage. Ever since 1998 when I started riding, I have switched my machines to pre-mix...............that way, there is no room for failure and your engine is running on prime mixture all the time. It takes about an hour and less than $25 to switch over to pre-mix and its well worth it.

I had a friend who owned a '96 1100 ZXi and his oil pump became loose from the engine block(stripped bolt), the pump was hanging out far enough to prevent it from turning and the engine was starved from oil..........BOOM! locked motor. He took it to the dealer and they charged him $2800 for a rebuilt motor, put it back together and sent him off with it. Three weeks later, it blew up again!!! After he inspected it, the oil line for the back cylinder was not properly fastened and popped off. Well, he ponied up for another $3200 this time, this time they also talked him into buying a $500 aluminum head that was collecting dust on thier shelves. I felt bad for the guy, but I certainly learned from his expensive mistakes. After 10 years of riding and 8 different ski's, I have never had engine failure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts