Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a ski over the weekend. It is supposedly a 440 hull with a 550 motor. How can I tell? How can I tell the year of the motor? When I got it I was told the pump needs to be cleaned out. I pulled the plate and grate in the back and everything looks clean as a whistle. I bought a new battery for it and after charging it and hookin it up I noticed when trying to start it that it smoked a bit coming from by the starter. It also did not seem to have enough power to get things movin. I should mention that the battery I got was a Wal-Mart personal watercraft (Everlast ES16CLB). Any help, guidance and wisdom would be appreciated. Thanks!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok so I pulled the starter and cracked it open. All the contacts are covered with soot for the lack of a better word. Started cleaning them off and hope that I can get it put back together. If not no big deal Ill get a new one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got the starter all cleaned up and put back together and into the ski. Battery is fresh off the charger. Gonna pull the plugs and check them. While there out do a spark test and then give it another shot starting. Keepin my fingers crossed. Thanks for the help..............

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So i got the starter in n hooked up, battery in n hooked up. Go to start it and its not engaging. Guess i didnt put it back together right as it was engaging before i tore it down. O-well, guess i gotta buy one. Hope some will answer this and tell me how i tell what motor i have. My hull is a 440 and the engine is a 550. are all 550 starters the same? If not how do i tell what i got? Anyone??

1 - 4 of 4 Posts