Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got a 2007 Yamaha fx cruiser with 41 hrs on it and i liked my 1995 wave raider more. the fx is nice for tubing and stuff but for toying around its very bad. i go and turn and i just stop and have no take off. i don't know if theirs something wrong with it but the take off is very slow. oil hasn't been changed in a season could that be the problem? id love it if it was way more tourquey are there any mods i can do for the acceleration to increase? thanks :)

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
You've gone from a dirt bike to a Goldwing. They don't call them "cruisers" for nothing. Still, the FX shouldn't be that much of a slouch. Yours may have a problem. An oil change will probably not help, unless the previous owner overfilled the oil the last time it was changed. In that case oil could very well be the cause of the poor performance.

Check the oil level after you have run it for at least 7-10 minutes, right after you stop it on the water when the engine is hot. Check the air filter for signs of oil contamination. Overfilling the oil level is one of the most common mistakes on this model and will foul the plugs, foul the air filter, and reduce performance. The other very common problem on this model is fouled spark plugs. Put in a new set and give it a try.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok cause top speed isnt all to bad. the gauges say around 63 but it feels like 35 max. the oil level is fine when cold but ill check them out when hot.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
If your oil level looks good on the dip stick when the engine is cold, then you could very well have too much oil in the system. When mine is cold, you usually can't even see any oil on the stick. The FX uses a dry sump system, so you don't check it like you do your car. You have to get the engine very hot to get an accurate reading, and check it right after you stop (don't let it sit around too long before you check it).

If there is too much oil in the tank, it overflows when the engine gets hot and will really reduce performance. It is amazing how many times the oil gets overfilled on this model ski...........even when the dealership does the work.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok ill take a look thanks. and i started the ski and the oil light went on and there was weeds in the ski but after awhile the oil light went off and it was fine

1 - 5 of 5 Posts