Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed a stator in a 91 kawasaki 550SX, now it barely idols, and when you get in the throttle it dies out. I've tried to switch carbs from another 550, same thing. I've used an external gas tank and line to make sure it was getting fuel, same thing. I've played with the low and high idol screws and got it to run a little better, but it still dies out at high idol. Could some one shed some light on this problem?

·
Registered
163 Posts
What condition is the engine in? I'm assuming that it ran prior to the stator install...

Have you verified that everything was reconnected and that everything is adjusted correctly? Sounds to me like this is a spark and/or timing related issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it ran good before, lost spark, installed rebuild stator, I'm questioning one ground wire which I will replace tomorrow. not for sure on how to time the engine?

according to previous owner a lot of engine work was done to make this ski scream.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Have you checked the CDI? Where did you get the rebuilt stator from?

I would go ahead and test the stator if I were you. If the CDI and ground is good then it's probably the exciter in the stator. It's not unheard of for rebuilt stuff to be defective, look at SBT!

Stator Test:
green to black: 1.2-1.8
green to green: 2.4-3.6
red to black: 112-168
red to grey: 14.4-21.6

Still you need to verify your wiring and make certian you have good connections everywhere.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Ok, I missed where you said you didn't time it...

You should do that as well, I'm at work currently so I don't have a manual nearby to verify timing directions. Lets see if Ocean can remember how to time this thing!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Edited:: Ignore this....

·
BORN TO FISH NOT CATCH
1,512 Posts
Knightofwyte said:
Ok, I missed where you said you didn't time it...

You should do that as well, I'm at work currently so I don't have a manual nearby to verify timing directions. Lets see if Ocean can remember how to time this thing!
all i can remember is that when u put the stator on u line it up with the mark on the cases. u need a piston stop to check for TDC. u put the flywheel on and look t what numbers line up with the mark. it should be 25 i think i can not remember and do not have my manual over here where i go to school so it is a crap shoot

u adjust idle timing first, then WOT timing
to adjust u need to looses the 3 screws on the stator and rotate it
MAKE SURE U PUT LOCKTITE ON THE STATOR SCREWS OR U WILL BE SORRY

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I lined up the marks on the stator but that was it. I'll go threw and redo the stator, and timing and see if that helps.

the previous owner didn't locktite on the screws and this is why I have it.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Without a manual, the best you can really do is follow Oceans guess... No offense Ocean, but I wouldn't want to time my ski based on that info! I'm looking for my manual right now, unfortunately I don't recall getting it back from my buddy last weekend after working on a ski at his place...

·
BORN TO FISH NOT CATCH
1,512 Posts
Knightofwyte said:
Without a manual, the best you can really do is follow Oceans guess... No offense Ocean, but I wouldn't want to time my ski based on that info! I'm looking for my manual right now, unfortunately I don't recall getting it back from my buddy last weekend after working on a ski at his place...
yea i know i was just going off the top of my head and with cylimers suggestions

·
Registered
2 Posts
Schimbo16

Hi, I have a 1994 stand up kawasaki 550sx. I am curious as to the cooling hole on the hull, won't that get water in the hull when you try to dive?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts