Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a used 1996 Kawasaki XI SS waverunner. It ran great initally in the water but after 15 minutes it started to lose power. It would never die out. If I waited a bit in idle, it would come back for a minute then do the same thing again. I checked the compression on the two cylinders and it was 130 and 132 psi respectively If I let it sit overnight, it would do it again, run great for a while, then go into the power loss mode. Any suggestions?

John J

·
Registered
6 Posts
You may be overheating - check all water passages for flow. You can by-pass the heat sensor that limits RPM's when the Ski overheats just for a few seconds to test it too. Ed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanx for the suggestion. I will see if there is any obstructions. Just one thing regarding my problem. My ski does not shut down when the problem occurs, it just loses power and goes into an idle type mode. It then comes back and works okay for a bit and then will only allow you to idle..

·
Registered
209 Posts
ED250 is right... looks like overheating. the saftey feature does NOT kill the ignition com[pletely. It allows you to limp back to shore at low speed. When you idle a while, the engine is cooling off. You probably don't have complete cooling hose blockage. Look at the pisser.... any flow? Maybe weeds or sand have clogged the lines. Flush the engine (connect hose - start engine-start water flow- flush- stop water flow-stop engine), and blow out individual hoses as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts