Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 93 Kawasaki 750sx. Just yesterday I had to keep the choke on while running it and if I went full throttle it would die. If I wanted to go faster I would have to open the choke by one notch, it still would not go full throttle. Then it just stopped in the water and wouldn't fire up (it did turn over). I thought it was a carb problem, so I completely took apart the carb and it looks clean. There is only a little scum on the choke valve, I didn't think it was a problem so I left it. I took apart the jet and cleaned the micro filter near it.
I also put new spark plugs in it. It turns over but does not fire up. Also usually when it would turn over small puffs of exhaust would come out, but that's not happening.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Stupid question but what did your old spark plugs look like when you pulled them out? Also, check your lines and make sure you have no water in your fuel or that there is no fuel or vacuum leaks any where.
They had grey/brown stuff all over the sparking area. They are the third set I have put it in two weeks. I did put lower grade mixing oil in the fuel

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
They had grey/brown stuff all over the sparking area. They are the third set I have put it in two weeks. I did put lower grade mixing oil in the fuel
I am familiar with your model of stand up ski but I do not remember, do you have to premix the oil or is it injected? That could also be a factor is a bad mix or your oil injection could be malfunctioning.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am familiar with your model of stand up ski but I do not remember, do you have to premix the oil or is it injected? That could also be a factor is a bad mix or your oil injection could be malfunctioning.
Yes, I premix at 40:1, I ran out of the good oil so I put it a different color and lower grade oil in the same tank. But shouldn't it fire up just not run as well? Its not even turn on (but does turn over).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, I premix at 40:1, I ran out of the good oil so I put it a different color and lower grade oil in the same tank. But shouldn't it fire up just not run as well? Its not even turn on (but does turn over).
I now can see exhaust come out and I can smell gas in it.

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
Since you have a 2 stroke motor, you should have exhaust coming out of it. You should see my Ultra 150 when it is running out of the water. It smokes bad. My 750 SXI is not as bad but seeing the exhaust come out is normal.

Is your ski starting up now?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Since you have a 2 stroke motor, you should have exhaust coming out of it. You should see my Ultra 150 when it is running out of the water. It smokes bad. My 750 SXI is not as bad but seeing the exhaust come out is normal.

Is your ski starting up now?
turning over yes, starting up, no

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
I'm wondering if it isn't your electrical box that box of your spark plugs go to. Mine did something very similar several years ago after I sunk it at the river. I refloated the ski but had to replace my electrical box. Fortunately, the ski was still under warranty and everything was covered. Take the spark plugs out of the engine but leave them connected to the plug wires and turn over your motor and see if there is any spark. Then let me know what you find.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts